• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raw Denim on a Budget

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWEIW, I love my raw 514 Levi's - better than other jeans I've owned that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Check overstock - they usually have a few brands with a raw line going cheap.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Damn, wish I could find some raw 514s around here. I'm making do with my tumble rigid pair, which I love. The 514 fit is so right on the money for me.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good Society can be had for a relatively cheap price.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would try to find quality denim brands on sale. Very often high quality raw denim can be had for around the same price, maybe a little more or less, than 'budget brands'. Try the Buying and Selling forum here, ebay, Superfuture's supermarket, and/or SF affiliate's sales.

erbs

Reaction score
It's pretty common to find APCs in the B/S forum for under $100. I would say that's your best bet. If that's too much, go for the 501 STF.

Fortysomething

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meader
Get yourself some Wrangler 13MWZ. Really cheap and durable. A classic pair of blue jean pants. Broken twill and exposed rivets.

But if you do, please be advised that the post-soak/wash hue of blue may not be to your liking. It is a different shade.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
Originally Posted by meader
Get yourself some Wrangler 13MWZ. Really cheap and durable. A classic pair of blue jean pants. Broken twill and exposed rivets.

I agree with this

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by keikun13
I donno... I was the the Uniqlo store in NYC just yesterday and I was about to pick up a pair, but they really didn't seem too great. They felt really crappy to me, but then again, they were pretty cheap (for selvege) and I suppose I was comparing them to the APCs I was wearing at the time.

Interesting... The Uniqlo S-002 I had was from Uniqlo Japan 2 seasons ago, so may be they changed the source.

And APC is definitely a fair benchmark for "budget" denim.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked

I'm not sure that I can say this is true anymore. Even in my area, every mainline store is introducing a glut of cheap raw denim, often with good cuts and decent denim.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Interesting... The Uniqlo S-002 I had was from Uniqlo Japan 2 seasons ago, so may be they changed the source.

Much like the Spurs, you're slipping. Now that there are no discounts on $155 APC's, can we really still call them the budget jean benchmark? One word :Crate.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
Oh, well the pair I'm buying is less than half the price from the B&S section, so it'll be worth it.
Make sure you research sizing for it or they'll be back up there for even less And I'd say Naked&Famous makes a pretty good product (don't own any tbh) in the APC price range. I think it's smarter to go with expensive denim that lasts than an abundance of cheap jeans though

Spencer Young

Reaction score
Can't knock Uniqlo. Just this evening I'm giving them the 1 year hot soak and in retrospect they've been wonderful jeans. S-002 (straight leg) is in my opinion a great midpoint between APC's Rescue and New Standard (in terms of cut). I believe I was close to crotch blowout on my APCs after a year - hence repaired - but the Uniqlos are still going strong. They fit pretty true to size and don't stretch as much as APC. As a starter raw denim and potentially under $50... I'd say go for it. Personally, I'd treat Uniqlo/APC as starter raw and then move straight to higher end raw denims after you realize how fun they can be.

yamazs

Reaction score
+1 on the uniqlo... pretty standard cut... nothing flashy but you great pair of jeans for the price...

You might wanna check out Academi too (they may be a little looser fitting than you are looking for)... I just bought a pair of $80 and they seem nice for the price point... although people have had some problems with them in the past...

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Budget is a pretty relative term.

There are 10- 30 dollar jeans that fade well and are decent quality (Rustler, Wrangler 13MWZ, Dickies)
There are some with better fits for 30-50 (levis red tab,gap morrisons, 'raw' skate brands)
There are some with different fits for 65ish (AA,Uniqlo,H&M,Cheap Monday,BDG...)
Crate,APC,and a few other brands are around 150 or so a pair.

But if you do a little research and browse around great jeans go up for sale at well below their retail all over the internet.

I think the 5EP's were less than 100 last week.
A friend got LVC repros for around 45$.
I got Kicking Mules for a steal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads