• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why don't most high end clothing stores sell online; will this change in the future?

stylemeup

Reaction score
Why don't most high end clothing stores sell their clothing online?

Will this change in the future?

It seems like you can buy anything online these days, other than high-end clothing. I realize there are a few sites that sell high-end clothing online, but not many. A lot that do sell online don't have the full selection, they just have a few slim pickings of inventory from overstock or last year's models etc.

Why is high end clothing left behind in the 'dark ages' regarding this whereas all other consumers goods have moved forward into the modern times of selling via the Internet?

Certainly would be a lot better to be able to see the full selection of clothing online and browse/purchase at your leisure without SA's in all high-end stores jumping all over you every time you take a step anywhere in their store, and in the few moments they are not jumping on you, they are then watching you like a hawk for all the rest of the time. Not to mention having to pay their ridiculous middle-man markups.
eh.gif

yo!

Reaction score
Because people who buy high end clothing want to try the clothing on before purchasing.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
Why don't most high end clothing stores sell their clothing online?

Will this change in the future?

It seems like you can buy anything online these days, other than high-end clothing. I realize there are a few sites that sell high-end clothing online, but not many. A lot that do sell online don't have the full selection, they just have a few slim pickings of inventory from overstock or last year's models etc.

Why is high end clothing left behind in the 'dark ages' regarding this whereas all other consumers goods have moved forward into the modern times of selling via the Internet?

Certainly would be a lot better to be able to see the full selection of clothing online and browse/purchase at your leisure without SA's in all high-end stores jumping all over you every time you take a step anywhere in their store, and in the few moments they are not jumping on you, they are then watching you like a hawk for all the rest of the time. Not to mention having to pay their ridiculous middle-man markups.
eh.gif

I agree - I would buy high-end clothing online. It really pisses me off.

the SA's in the high-end department stores are terrible most of the time.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I agree - I would buy high-end clothing online. It really pisses me off.

the SA's in the high-end department stores are terrible most of the time.

and especially for guys/girls who are busy w work.. i dont have time to spend half a day buying clothing.. it would be easier to spend an hour buying online... with easy return policy

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Because people who buy high end clothing want to try the clothing on before purchasing.

I don't know much about clothing but I say it's more than a worthy tradeoff to not be able to try them on in exchange for avoiding all the hassles described in the OP. That's what measurements and knowing your size based on measurements is for, isn't it? Surely many other consumers feel the same way?

Why can't they do both; brick and mortar stores so those who want to can try it on and have to deal with all that crap; and online stores with the full selection for those who would rather not deal with all that crap?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine it is to do with the way the brands see themselves. They do not want their clothing to be readily available, for then it is not exclusive. They also do not want joe bloggs to wear their clothing.

GTR

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I don't know much about clothing but I say it's more than a worthy tradeoff to not be able to try them on in exchange for avoiding all the hassles described in the OP. That's what measurements and knowing your size based on measurements is for, isn't it? Surely many other consumers feel the same way?
If you don't like to leave the house, why would you want high end clothing?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And what's up with the ones who do have online shops but don't ship outside of the US, like Ralph Lauren, there's an RLPL tie I was going to buy but I can't because I'm not in America
plain.gif

i6or

Reaction score
i personally think its a great thing that they are keeping it, within that range, if could still get your hands on something you really want its going to make it that much harder, and that much more special for you. knowing what you had to do to get your hands on it.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GTR
If you don't like to leave the house, why would you want high end clothing?

Leaving the house is more appealing when people don't jump all over me. That generally doesn't happen when I leave the house. If I walk into Harry Rosen though, it is guaranteed to happen every time.
frown.gif

arirang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jimmyoneill
I imagine it is to do with the way the brands see themselves. They do not want their clothing to be readily available, for then it is not exclusive. They also do not want joe bloggs to wear their clothing.

How is selling on the internet going to make the clothes more accessible than selling in stores? What prevents the "joe bloggs" of the world from just going to their local menswear store? Are the commissioned salespeople going to refuse them service?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by arirang
How is selling on the internet going to make the clothes more accessible than selling in stores? What prevents the "joe bloggs" of the world from just going to their local menswear store? Are the commissioned salespeople going to refuse them service?

No, but their manner and stares will.

arirang

Reaction score
You wouldn't last long as a sales associate.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what i gather from my friends who work in the fashion industry, they are all conceited and elitist. Whether i would stare or not is a different matter.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In the USA, most of the brands do online shopping. Those that don't all have pictures of the items online and will ship them to you if you call.

But, I could understand why they wouldn't want to... returns and such are a MAJOR hassle because designers all fit so differently (this is one problem with YOOX; I'd say their return rate is HUGE). Maintaining a website and having a separate entity to control the web merchandise costs a lot of money and doesn't NECESSARILY translate into huge sales.

Second, they want you to come into their boutiques. It's sort of the exclusivity factor...

Third, most "high end" brands are seasonal; to change the entire site twice, three, or four times a year (now they have Spring/summer, Autumn/Winter, and sometimes pre-fall collections, cruise collections, etc.) for the online presence would be a big hassle and, again, wouldn't necessarily translate into higher sales than what they do now or can do easily via telephone.

Finally, I don't understand what you mean by "high end" clothing. Do you mean Gucci, Prada or do you mean Brioni or do you mean something else? Such a designation is overly generalized and, at least in the USA, not very true. All the high end brands I can think of either have an online presence OR provide easy access to customer service lines that will ship you whatever you want if you call. They've been doing this for decades...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads