• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poorly Dressed SA's

Motol12

Reaction score
Making the Black Friday rounds this weekend, I was struck by how poorly dressed some sales associates are. Here's just one example: An SA at NeimanMarcus had on a well-fitting double-breasted charcoal grey suit, which was very nice. Then, he decided to wear a fire red dress shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs and a yellow paisley necktie. To make sartorial matters worse, the shoes were some kind of tassel loafer made with what could have been crocadile skin.

The man was quite pleasant, knowledgable, and I ended up buying a few things, but his attire was somewhat annoying. This man sells clothing for a living, but can't seem to clothe himself well.

Even Brooks Brothers, traditionally home to conservative, well-dressed SA's had a man who can only be described as Thom Browne gone wrong. Being short and muscular didn't detract this college-age fashion victim from choosing a button-down, french cuff dress shirt, one inch black necktie, and a high-water, high cuffed, short jacketed navy suit.

My question is three-fold. What stores would you say have the best/worst dressed SA's and would the attire of an SA ever alter your purchasing habits. If so, how badly dressed would they have to be?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren's SA's are always impeccable. They seem to be pretty attractive, too, both men and women. This is at flagship stores; the "help" at outlets dresses horribly.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
one of the best dressed sales people i know works at Lord and Taylors, the others work at Ralph Lauren in Princeton. Always well done, well put together.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep. Did you check it out this weekend? I just went there earlier today to retroactively get my 30% F&F discount on the tie I bought yesterday.

What Lord & Taylor are you talking about? The one in West Windsor, or New York?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
quaker bridge, the mall is terrible, but the lord and taylors people are great.

Been pretty broke lately so i havent stopped by RL in a while.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the best dressed sales associates work at Henri Bendel

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
quaker bridge, the mall is terrible, but the lord and taylors people are great.

Been pretty broke lately so i havent stopped by RL in a while.

I wonder what the Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus at QB will be like. Hopefully some decent boutiques will follow.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If specific brand stores such as BB want employees to look appropriate they should be given a steep discount on clothing. From what I understand BB does give associates discounts but could do more, in my opinion.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the third thread I have posted this on in 36 hours, but I don't care...I MUST share the horror!

I kid you not, KID YOU NOT:

I was braving Black Friday at a suburban mall. Young salesman in the furnishings department wearing:

1) A black DB 6x2 suit at least four sizes too big. So large he could have easily carried twins in a Baby Bjorn under the jacket with room to spare.

2) A frayed white polo-style short-sleeved knit shirt with a tie.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Who gives a ****? I know that I wore whatever was comfortable becuase I was working 10 hours.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
Who gives a ****? I know that I wore whatever was comfortable becuase I was working 10 hours.

Point taken. However, comfort and looking proper are two different things.

SlamMan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Ralph Lauren's SA's are always impeccable. They seem to be pretty attractive, too, both men and women. This is at flagship stores; the "help" at outlets dresses horribly.
Stopped in the RL store yesterday and the SA was dressed well enough except for the super big button down. Sleeves poofed out like a pirate shirt. Awesome. The two SA's I deal with at Nordstrom and Andrisen Morton are very well dressed in proper fitting attire. They make me feel like a bit of a slug when I come in dressed casually but they always give excellent and honest advice.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The worst I can recall was an overweight young, ugly woman working at Emporio Armani in SoHo, as well as a obese young man working there. There was no way the clothing they were wearing was from EA. It was enough of a turn off that me and a few others that were loyal to that location stopped going there.

JasonC8301

Reaction score
I would vote for Macy's, but then again the crowd and selection isn't all that great. Sure I am broad stroking the population but Macy's shoppers are different from lets say Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom shoppers (same can be said for Ikea versus Crate and Barrel or a Kia dealer versus a Mercedes Benz dealer.)

I was just shocked at how far I have come in so little time. A few years ago I used to look at Bostonians like they were the dress shoe, through SF I have been proven wrong and now have AE's, JM's, Alden's, and so forth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads