• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Cordovan Chukka

mikejones

Reaction score
Any thoughts on wearing Alden Cordovan chukkas in dark burgundy with jeans?

I saw an old thread re: the support of the suede chukkas, what about the cordovan leather? It is $250 more so I am thinking the boot has much more support and is better made.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the construction is relative. any shoe model made by the same company will equally have the same construction. that being said, cordovan is a stiffer material than suede, so naturally it will feel like it has more support.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
One of my staples. The sole is kind of odd, with the leather toe-cap and crepe everywhere else, but it has not been a problem in regular use.

I do not own them in suede so I cannot comment on any differences. It is not a shoe to mail-order for sure, because their sizing is very idiosyncratic. They seem to run even larger than 405s.

mikejones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
One of my staples. The sole is kind of odd, with the leather toe-cap and crepe everywhere else, but it has not been a problem in regular use.

I do not own them in suede so I cannot comment on any differences. It is not a shoe to mail-order for sure, because their sizing is very idiosyncratic. They seem to run even larger than 405s.

I bought a pair of their casual mocs, and their 10D fit well, if a tiny bit big.

It would seem that the cordovan chukkas are a whole different animal than the suede or calfskin, seemingly a much better product overall; better sole, etc. Though you mention you don't own the other styles, would you agree this a fair statement?

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if your strictly talking alden, the soles are going to be the same, either leather soles or commando, which are leather with rubber over them. construction will be the same. it is not like they are going to construct the shoe ****** just because you are not shelling out the $250 more for cordovan.

where cordovan gets the high price point is that is more rare than calf or suede. there are also production difficulties that is not as apparent with calf

Cali

Reaction score
Check out Rider Boot too, they make Cordovan Chukkas in lots of interesting colors. Made in Italy.

p.o.t.u.s

Reaction score
Any ideas on a similar chukka at a lower price? (Say, <$150?) I'm having a lot of trouble finding a decent non-chunky chukka at that price point.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones
It would seem that the cordovan chukkas are a whole different animal than the suede or calfskin, seemingly a much better product overall; better sole, etc. Though you mention you don't own the other styles, would you agree this a fair statement?
I can't say one way or the other. I just haven't looked at the other styles too closely. However, in other types of shoes where Alden has calf and shell cordo variants, I cannot say I have found the shell ones to be better made, or to use better component parts.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikejones

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I can't say one way or the other. I just haven't looked at the other styles too closely.

Shell Cordovan = Horse Hide
Calfskin = Cow Hide

Now hurry up and edit your posts before everyone else notices that you're a bunch of boobs.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
Shell Cordovan = Horse Hide
Calfskin = Cow Hide

Now hurry up and edit your posts before everyone else notices that you're a bunch of boobs.

I highly doubt that anyone reading this thread (except perhaps you, as you give the air of someone who just looked it up) has any trouble comprehending the difference between a membrane in a horse's ass (not strictly speaking "hide," I don't believe) and the flesh of a baby cow.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You got me, I just looked it up.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads