• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tailoring mistake

jyang

Reaction score
So what's the general policy in tailoring regards to tailoring disasters ???

I just took four e.zegna shirts to a local tailor to get it recut and sleevs shortened (they did the measuring) and they made it way way way too tight on the chest. Now it's almost not wearable...actually.. I probably wont' wear it as it looks ridiculous.

So what's the general policy for this? they already told me I don't have to pay for the tailoring job but i now have four shirts that are way too tight . . .

Is it understood thatI took that risk when I left my shirts at the tailor? Is it fair for me to ask for compensation?

litho

Reaction score
they should have their own policy

zegna shirts are very expensive, so i would not be happy at all and demand some sort of compensation

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jyang
So what's the general policy in tailoring regards to tailoring disasters ???

I just took four e.zegna shirts to a local tailor to get it recut and sleevs shortened (they did the measuring) and they made it way way way too tight on the chest. Now it's almost not wearable...actually.. I probably wont' wear it as it looks ridiculous.

So what's the general policy for this? they already told me I don't have to pay for the tailoring job but i now have four shirts that are way too tight . . .

Is it understood thatI took that risk when I left my shirts at the tailor? Is it fair for me to ask for compensation?

I don't get it. You don't know the tailor and give four shirts to alter at one time?! That is dumb!!!

General policy is: to use one's wits!

hamish5178

Reaction score
Did you give the tailor specific measurements, or did the tailor mark the shirt while you were wearing it?

Either way if the tailor did something totally off what you told him to, I think you should make him pay for the shirts. However I don't understand how that could have happened.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check to see if there are posted policies or some policy on your receipt regarding such work. If there is no disclaimer of damages, i think you should have a claim that they screwed up your shirts. This is a contract matter, and therefore, you should be made whole. without a disclaimer, there is no "assumption of risk," and you shouldn't accept this. If your shirts are brand new, take them the receipt and ask for compensation.

jyang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
I don't get it. You don't know the tailor and give four shirts to alter at one time?! That is dumb!!!

General policy is: to use one's wits!

i didn't say I didn't know the tailor.

I have had good exp with this tailor when I was getting my MTM suit. I was happy with the result . . .

This time he didn't do as good of a job ..

jyang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Did you give the tailor specific measurements, or did the tailor mark the shirt while you were wearing it? Either way if the tailor did something totally off what you told him to, I think you should make him pay for the shirts. However I don't understand how that could have happened.
The tailor did the measuring. . .

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i think he bought your shirts.

you should have started with only one shirt.

jyang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
i think he bought your shirts.

you should have started with only one shirt.

Any suggestions on how to approach the tailor about this?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to approach the tailor about this?
how did you get this resolved? I just got a heap of goodness back from the tailor. all the pants worked out great but he butchered the shirt. I asked him to slim down a BB luxury line shirt and he brought it in way too much, both in the chest and waist. Odd, because in previous occasions, he didnt take the shirts in enough. I am puzzled because he did a great job on each pair of pants I gave him (hem, seat & waist taken in, taper, etc) and he was on point with all of my requests. What I have learned from this is that in addition to having the tailor mark you up, give him a set of measurements from a shirt that fits your perfectly. Hopefully this will prevent any future shirt disasters.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
how did you get this resolved?

I just got a heap of goodness back from the tailor. all the pants worked out great but he butchered the shirt. I asked him to slim down a BB luxury line shirt and he brought it in way too much, both in the chest and waist. Odd, because in previous occasions, he didnt take the shirts in enough.

I am puzzled because he did a great job on each pair of pants I gave him (hem, seat & waist taken in, taper, etc) and he was on point with all of my requests.

What I have learned from this is that in addition to having the tailor mark you up, give him a set of measurements from a shirt that fits your perfectly. Hopefully this will prevent any future shirt disasters.

did he mark up the shirt when you had it on or did you just ask/show him what you wanted? if the first-his bad...if the second, your bad.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
did he mark up the shirt when you had it on or did you just ask/show him what you wanted? if the first-his bad...if the second, your bad.
I had it on. I expected this shirt to be slightly loose based on where he had placed the pins but instead its too tight from top to bottom. He also raised the arm holes and now the sleeves are too short. The guy has done some great work for me so I dont want to cause any tension. The shirt cant be fixed and I don't want a refund for the work as it was only a $22 alteration. Going forward, I have a suit that needs to be altered; sleeves let out and waist taken in. He has done this alteration on another suit before but now im uneasy after this experience. Ooof

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I had it on. I expected this shirt to be slightly loose based on where he had placed the pins but instead its too tight from top to bottom. He also raised the arm holes and now the sleeves are too short. The guy has done some great work for me so I dont want to cause any tension. The shirt cant be fixed and I don't want a refund for the work as it was only a $22 alteration.

Going forward, I have a suit that needs to be altered; sleeves let out and waist taken in. He has done this alteration on another suit before but now im uneasy after this experience. Ooof

take the shirt with you when you take the suit in and show him what he did. be precise with the suit measurements...get what you want and not what he wants. make sure you can move your arms around in the jacket. wear dress shoes when getting the pants measured. maybe he will give you a break on the price as he fukked up the shirt!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i didn't say I didn't know the tailor.

I have had good exp with this tailor when I was getting my MTM suit. I was happy with the result . . .

This time he didn't do as good of a job ..

Someone who offers MTM altering shirts? Seems as if it might not be his forte - given the results....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads