• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick question: Is this plaid tie supposed to be this short? Or should I return it?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11-29-2008-5.jpg

I got this at the Ralph Lauren store today. I can still return, as I still have the tag. Also, what are you guys' thoughts on the tie's general aesethetics for my color scheme?

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What do you mean by short? It runs to the belt line just fine ... do you mean the blade of the tie?

If it can be tucked into the keeper I think it is fine.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no keeper, only the label tag, and that is too low to tuck the blade into.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap. Unfortunately, this picture shows me with a belly. I had 3 meals today and haven't taken a dump yet...

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length of your tie is just fine. What kind of knot did you put it in?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a watchband like that too.

Tie is not too short, a simple tie clip may help hold the back blade in place?

I don't have public restroom photos of myself though
frown.gif

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap. Unfortunately, this picture shows me with a belly. I had 3 meals today and haven't taken a dump yet...
- Take another pic after you have had a dump.. I'd say the tie will sit flatter!

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no keeper, only the label tag, and that is too low to tuck the blade into.

I say go for the clip as well. But you can always find a good tailor to move the tag or put a keeper on for you.

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the tie length; as for the color scheme, the orange watchband doesn't go with the tie at all. I'd go with one of these:
ribbon_tan_burgundy.jpg
staps_0304_r3_c5.jpg
staps_03042_r2_c1.jpg

The more subdued tan would likely be most suitable.

No, it's a J. Crew vintage ocbd. I don't like how the edges are distressed, but the fit is great, and it was cheap.
My daily go-to shirt. I do wish they had a non-distressed version, the collar roll is outstanding.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I agree about the watch strap. I basically just get whatever is in the sale box at J. Crew, so I only have 3 so far. All of them were really cheap, this one was only $2.99! And it is sort of in school colors... I wish I could intercept the shirts at the factory before they are distressed! What the **** is a "durable" wash, anyways?
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads