• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

high-end task chairs: knoll life vs. Aeron vs. Freedom Chair

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ergonomically the Chadwick chair fits me the best. For the Aeron chair there are a million adjustments that I have to make to feel somewhat comfortable. With the Chadwick, I feel great with no adjustments. Haven't tried the Humanscale freedom chair though.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Teknion Contessa is the only possible competitor to my choice of Freedom chairs. Time will tell.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those considering these chairs, do you only use them at home, or have you taken one to your office as well? I'm in college, studying to be a CPA, so I'll be spending a lot of time in a chair. Are you allowed to bring your own chair to your 'cube? Is it socially acceptable to do this? ; )

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
chadwick task chairs are great for gen. pop employees/everyday office/guest use.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
chadwick task chairs are great for gen. pop employees/everyday office/guest use.

Kunk, I think I recall you've been in an office environment, if you were in a cube farm or just a general employee, would you be able to bring a fancy chair to replace your stardard-issue chair?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ i don't see why not. i had a junior copywriter with a really bad back and let him bring his chair from home. when i started out in advertising, i brought my uncle's old aeron into the office.

btw, ebay and craigslist are a great source of high-ebd chairs. lots of agencies/companies become ghost towns and sell of their assets cheap, including the chairs. we bought 4 leap chairs for $200 each from a defunct architectural firm

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ i don't see why not. i had a junior copywriter with a really bad back and let him bring his chair from home. when i started out in advertising, i brought my uncle's old aeron into the office.

btw, ebay and craigslist are a great source of high-ebd chairs. lots of agencies/companies become ghost towns and sell of their assets cheap, including the chairs. we bought 4 leap chairs for $200 each from a defunct architectural firm

Thanks! I'm going to try and do whatever I can to preserve my health during the loooong tax season hours
confused.gif

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Thanks! I'm going to try and do whatever I can to preserve my health during the loooong tax season hours
confused.gif

First, try to ask the Facilities manager if they can order you one. Mention your health/back, especially if you have back problems. In many firms, if you can produce a doctor note about back problems, they will get out of their way to order a better chair for you.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^doable, but maybe not the economic environment for special requests. even when totally legitamite, don;t want them thinking you're a pain **********.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^doable, but maybe not the economic environment for special requests. even when totally legitamite, don;t want them thinking you're a pain **********.
You can simply and nicely ask without going overboard. Nobody will report you to HR or your manager merely for asking if that's a feasible option. My office would not let people bring chairs or furniture from outside (simply because security will not let you take it out of the building and it's too complicated to track personal furniture in the building)

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^yeah, depends on the company. my old firm was so cheap they'd rather you brought from home

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
First, try to ask the Facilities manager if they can order you one. Mention your health/back, especially if you have back problems. In many firms, if you can produce a doctor note about back problems, they will get out of their way to order a better chair for you.

Good idea. No real back problems, more like preventitive posture and back health concerns. I hope to work for a smaller CPA firm eventually, so I doubt it should be a problem to sneak a new chair in.
smile.gif

converge

Reaction score
I have a Steelcase Leap that is miles better than my previous Aeron (lumbar support was a joke).

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't sat in a Knoll Life but have put in many, many hours in Aerons. Although I found the Aeron satisfactory in terms of comfort and ergonomics, it didn't seem a whole lot better than other chairs in which I've also put in some serious iron-butt time. My main complaint with the Aeron is the mesh, it wore down the seat of my pants, including otherwise sturdy denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads