• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What black suit to buy for my wedding?

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new here and would love to get your advice! I'm getting married next August and plan to buy a new, black suit for the occasion. My theory is why rent a tuxedo when I could buy a nice suit that will last a decade or more (assuming it continues to fit that long)? Here's the main caveat: I'm broke. I'll be graduating from college in May and it'll be all I can do to save money for this and for a honeymoon between now and August. I want a well-fitting suit (every other suit I've ever purchased has been complete and utter crap). I also would prefer a 3-piece suit (I've always wanted one). I've thought about this 3-piece suit from J. Crew: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Mens...4524/74524.jsp I know J. Crew isn't the most popular around here, and nothing less than fully canvassed is looked down upon, but hey, I do what I can. Alternatively, I was thinking about buying a MTM suit from baronboutique.com. That would allow me to fulfill my dream of having functional button cuffs, and still pay less than what J. Crew would charge. And finally, I've considered Brooks Brothers' Suiting Essentials, which lets me choose the fabric I want and various other options. The sales associate at my local BB said to wait for the 25% sale in January, which I would probably do if I were to go this route. What would you guys suggest? Any other suits in my price range ($600 or less) that would fit me well?

ACACRefugee

Reaction score
My rules-based chip (largely programmed by Manton) tells me if faced with such a dilemma that a black suit is not a substitute for a tux, and that suits for all other occasions should be gray or navy, with black being reserved for formal wear only.

Personally, if strapped, I'd rent formal wear for the wedding as it will get only one immediate wearing. I did just that when I graduated broke and married near simultaneously. I then purchased a conservative gray suit for interviews, for which I had to give my car title to the personal loan company for lean and surety.

Congratulations on both college and your wedding.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mossrockss
I'm new here and would love to get your advice!

I'm getting married next August and ...

What would you guys suggest? Any other suits in my price range ($600 or less) that would fit me well?

Hello and welcome,

there is enough time till August. So read SF and use the 'search'.

Yours
GN

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing sentiments above:

Unless you really think you'll want a black suit for other uses (which many here won't recommend), rent a tux.

You're getting married in August. What is the rest of the party wearing? Church wedding or outdoors? Answering those questions might mean you'd be able to buy a more useful suit (for example, a lighter weight and color).

Even a charcoal or navy could work.

At 600 bucks you could get a good fitting made_to_order (not to be confused with made toi measure or custom), I believe the BB program you mentioned is MTO.

scwtlover

Reaction score
Congratulations.

Take your time. With patience and a little luck you may be able to do much better for a similar amount of money. (When I followed your link, the price was $350.)

Also, I agree regarding color. If you want to wear black, rent a tux. Otherwise, I suggest a navy blue solid. I've never bought from The Wizard of AAHS on eBay, but at or below that price level his suits have been well-recommended at another forum.

If you're within traveling distance of a Filene's Basement, Nordstrom's Rack, etc., you also may find something better in your price range.

Also, you probably should budget for some tailoring to get the best possible fit.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never cared for tuxes and would rather have a black suit that could be used as regular business wear.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...Buy a tux.

You only live once, and thats why credit cards exist....so you can go broke a little at a time, and not all at once.

Brooks brothers has tuxes for $998 (1818)

Ralph Lauren Polo is $1495 but you can use the code HOL2008 to knock it down to $1045

Polo is a classic look, peak satin lapels, formal buttons. Single button enclosure

Trousers have side adjusters and suspender buttons.

I felt like the j-crew tux was pretty lame, it didnt even have formal buttons. I would definetly go to a formal wear shop prior to buying the j-crew tux.

wiru

Reaction score
Unless he's getting married at night, why would he want a tux?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a tux.

What about shoes?? How are you set for footwear? If you don't have a great pair of shoes (+shirt +tie), another reason to rent.

If you are buying, get hopping to get a good deal on shoes too.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A tweed suit with a nice rep tie and brown shoes (preferably english) would work wonders. I even wear that when bathing and don't see why you shouldn't dress exactly like me.

gentleman amateur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wiru
Unless he's getting married at night, why would he want a tux?

Well said, along with the above comments against wearing a black suit.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses so far.

1) Peak lapels are evil, in my humble opinion. I will never wear peak lapels if I can help it.

2) Tuxedo? No thanks... at least at this point in my life. I feel that a nice, sharp, well-fitting black suit will be plenty formal. And the reason I like the J. Crew suit ($633 for everything) is that it has the marketing term "year-round" attached to it. Right now I'd like to get some standards down that I can wear any time of the year. I have to budget here, people, and if I'm going to drop this much money on something, I want it to be flexible.

3) I wear black suits frequently. Perhaps I should not? But I like to look nice when I go to church every week. My personal feeling is that black is a good starting point and from there I'll branch out with navy or gray or other suits. If this is incorrect, explain why.

4) Shoes? Good point. I need some new nice, formal black shoes. Currently I have a pair of J&M cap toes. Leather sole. Got them 4.5 years ago for junior prom of all things (sheesh that was a long time ago). They've held up incredibly well. My next pair I wouldn't mind some wingtips, though. I hadn't thought of shoes before, so any suggestions for relatively cheap (like... $175 range), nice shoes of high quality?

Thanks! I've only known about this forum for about a week, but already I'm frequenting it multiple times a day!

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And learning much, I see.

Don't wear a dinner suit during a day wedding, don't wear a black suit to a wedding. Either wear a morning coat or (sigh) go with a navy or charcoal suit. Good luck to you and your prospective bride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads