• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Autobody Thread

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm no expert no cars and have hardly any tools in my tiny studio apartment but I have just been given the task of fixing my girlfriend's bumper, which I dinged on a curb on the bottom corner of the left driver side. The plastic is not broken (or is it metal? I don't even know) but there is a pretty significant dent. Parking lots usually have small curbs but this hotel happened to have a 9-12" high one *sigh*. She has a silver 2007 Honda Civic. What is the best way for me to fix this. My deductible is $500 for auto insurance, but I'm assuming I can do the job myself for much cheaper. If I replace the entire bumper myself, can I order the bumper in the right color? Should I try to repair the dent myself using a method similar to this? http://www.ehow.com/how_2127385_fix-...mper-free.html

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you replace the bumber its going to be over $1k and if you order a new one you will have to color match

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't attempt it yourself (removing bumper and putting it back), juts buy her,err .....Coach bag and forget about it.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
just pop it out. the bumper is plastic. if it isnt cracked, see if a body shop can spot blend it for you. it might be cheaper than your deductible.

JPYPSU07

Reaction score
If it is just dented in you can get a heat gun and one of those rounded tools and heat it and pop it back out.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
Don't attempt it yourself (removing bumper and putting it back), juts buy her,err .....Coach bag and forget about it.

What he said.

IF you are hell bent on doing it yourself, your options vary depending on the car, but...you may have some luck if this is a lower piece that is a break-away part. Some tend to be attached by plastic expansion bolts - look underneath for plastic phillips screw heads. You may have luck pulling a piece off, pressing it out and reinstalling it. Now, re-finishing it is a whole different ball of wax but you can probably make do with touch-up paint and some auto-paint sandpaper.

BUT BEFORE YOU START THIS - if your gf is a stickler and will notice the least little thing wrong...go with the Coach bag.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I'm a stickler..I would just take it to the body shop. I have some friends in the business, and always get taken care of. Offer to pay them cash, and see what they can do for you. Thanks - Steve

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call one of those dent removal guys, e.g. Dent Wizards. It's amazing what they can do. Just make sure it's a reputable company, not just some bum walking around with a pair of plyers.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah there is a mobile dent guy I talked to on the phone who sounds like a retired mechanic from Brooklyn who knows all about the process (which I researched all day watching videos of the pros do it). He says he's been doing it 40 years and the dent is in a very not noticeable place. He is charging around $100 and the other guys are charging around $200.

I did find the same bumper, prepainted on ebay for $100 but with $100 shipping, so I'm like screw it. I'll just see what this guy can do and if it looks like crap he better not expect to get paid.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the dent-popping thing is sooo much more efficient, if your dent qualifies for it.

You could order the new bumper, but do you know how to install it? What are you going to do with the old bumper? Sell it?

Body shops tend to take the most difficult route possible, they say they will need to bondo it and fill it and repaint and prime it, or order a $1000 subframe replacement, cut it out and weld it in, etc.

$100-200 sounds right for dent-popping. Let him take care of it.

Mauby

Reaction score
Go the nearby ice cream shop. Buy some dry ice. Hold (not with your barehand) the dry ice on the dent for awhile and see if it pops back out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads