• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Ivy League Graduates?

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chicago
Georgetown
Berkeley
Stanford
MIT
Caltech

even Vanderbilt and Duke

Great, world class universities. Non Ivy.

Let's not forget McGill and University of Toronto! LOL

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
Chicago
Georgetown
Berkeley
Stanford
MIT
Caltech

even Vanderbilt and Duke

Great, world class universities. Non Ivy.

Let's not forget McGill and University of Toronto! LOL

There's a much longer list of world class schools that aren't ivy leagues than that.

Obvious ones would be Northwestern, Swarthmore, Emory etc...

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like the Northwesterns and Emorys of the world have less name cachet than they should.

Then again, I think only DUMBER PPLZ have this perspective. Most people with a good education will know that Northwestern and Emory are very good universities.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I feel like the Northwesterns and Emorys of the world have less name cachet than they should.

Then again, I think only DUMBER PPLZ have this perspective. Most people with a good education will know that Northwestern and Emory are very good universities.

Yes they definitely do, except for Medill and Kellogg. Northwestern is ranked #11 or 12 in all the famous lists or whatever, but I doubt most people know it.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Yes they definitely do, except for Medill and Kellogg. Northwestern is ranked #11 or 12 in all the famous lists or whatever, but I doubt most people know it.
Yep. They have a really great history department there. One of my favorite historians got his PhD at Northwestern.

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish this thread would die. It has become one huge ePenis contest.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
I wish this thread would die. It has become one huge ePenis contest.

Ah, public school?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unrelated, but my e-penis is 9 parsecs long.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you have 501 with Minozzi or Smith?

Originally Posted by Connemara
laugh.gif

Intro. to Historical Methods (pretty much alerady took this but they did not count the specific course
plain.gif
)
Bio 101 (science requirement)
Poli. Sci. 501

leftover_salmon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField

I hate Northwestern and think it's an overrated school. Don't feel like getting into why (and no, I neither applied to nor was I rejected from it).

scwtlover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Some people simply aren't intellectual. I am, but most are not, and would not take advantage of the opportunities available at a school such as mine. Even most of the people at my school aren't purely "intellectual"; this isn't some kind of thinkers' bohemia (you'd have to wait for a PhD program for that), but I do think the vast majority of people here have that element in them.

I think it really comes down to this; would you rather have a conversation with people from a state school, or a traditional elite private school? I'd rather have the conversation with the latter, but many people would rather talk to the former. It doesn't mean anything positive or negative, it's just a preference.

I have three degrees from a prestigious Ivy school. My older child, who went to a state school, got a fabulous education; met good, intelligent people; and was accepted and wooed by the three Ivy Ph.D. programs to which she applied.

George Bush graduated from Yale and Harvard Business School.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Overrated: WashU, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Emory, Brown

Underrated: Georgetown, Johns Hopkins, Notre Dame

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads