• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Did I do OK? Oxxford sport coat from EBay

starcrash

Reaction score
It was described as "Oxxford Bespoke Charcoal Gray Sport Coat," seems like decent quality, and I particularly like the patch pockets. I paid $69 USD and got the 25% Live discount. Did I do OK?

Jacket pics

Also, is this technically a sport coat or a blazer? I thought it looks more like what I would usually consider a blazer, having no pattern and being a solid color with contrasting buttons.

extempore

Reaction score
Fit looks big. It's Oxxford, it'll fit like a tent. If you're slim, expect a visit to the tailors. Gorge is low, very very low, and lapel width is on the generous side - likely dates it to late 80s, early 90s.

Colour is slightly unusual for a blazer - which it technically isn't, it's a sports coat (as it lacks metal buttons) - the grey colour initially made me think 'orphaned suit coat', but the patch pockets, material, and interesting buttons signify no.

Interesting jacket! How many vents?
smile.gif

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on the weave an pockets I'm going to say it is indeed a blazer. I disagree with the poster above about the gorge. It looks standard to me. Not fashionably high but not dated low either. The main problem is what do you wear with a dark grey jacket?

spence

Reaction score
I think you could wear some taupe or mid gray pants. Nothing too dark though...

-spence

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I disagree with the poster above about the gorge. It looks standard to me.
On second inspection, you're right - I was thrown off by the wide lapel width elongating the 'join' between collar and lapel, making the 'notch' somehow look lower than it actually was.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For 69, I think you did great. As to the fit like a tent, not necessarily. And, even if so, if the shoulders and chest work, the sides can be taken in by a competent tailor at relatively low cost.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
For 69, I think you did great. As to the fit like a tent, not necessarily. And, even if so, if the shoulders and chest work, the sides can be taken in by a competent tailor at relatively low cost.
If the shoulders/chest fit, the battle is half won.

Otherwise, I've found (rather painfully and expensively) that ~3 inches is the maximum that a jacket can be taken in at the sides before things start going really awry - pockets sticking out (due to the excess material used to construct them) and ruining the silhouette, for example.

All the best! The interesting thing is that I recall seeing this Oxxford on eBay, and passing it over - 'Bob Miller' was the giveaway.
wink.gif

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by extempore
If the shoulders/chest fit, the battle is half won.

Otherwise, I've found (rather painfully and expensively) that ~3 inches is the maximum that a jacket can be taken in at the sides before things start going really awry - pockets sticking out (due to the excess material used to construct them) and ruining the silhouette, for example.

All the best! The interesting thing is that I recall seeing this Oxxford on eBay, and passing it over - 'Bob Miller' was the giveaway.
wink.gif

So true, but hopefully he is not going for John Steed waist suppression. If he wants just a nip and tuck, the OP ought be fine.

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by extempore
wink.gif

Yeah, I just hope I never run into him!

As to the fit, I haven't received it yet but the measurements are pretty good. I'm medium to thin, 38" chest/ 34" waist and non-athletic.

Shoulders:17.5
Chest: 20.5
Sleeves: 23.5 (I have short arms)

It may be slightly roomier than I'm used to in the chest, but probably only slightly.

I have a pair of gray trousers I plan to wear with it. I also have a pair of blue vintage Sta-Prest and ivory Sta-Prest. Would that work? I don't own a suit and I just have a few sport coats that are more casual, a very fitted vintage tweed, and a beige linen for the sunny season. This will be for when I need to be a bit dressier or more conservative.

I'm obviously a little bit new when it comes to dressing like an adult even though I've been one for nearly half my life. I guess playing rock'n'roll music has kept me in a state of arrested development.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't see a front dart on that jacket. May be very boxy. The gorge is sloped but not too low.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the angle of the gorge that is eye-catching.

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's the angle of the gorge that is eye-catching.

Well, the jacket is probably from late 80s.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Well, the jacket is probably from late 80s.

For jackets with a lowish gorge I find a lightweight roll-neck or turtle-neck makes the gorge less obvious than with a shirt.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The answer is really - are you happy with it? It really matters not what others think.

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

The answer is really - are you happy with it? It really matters not what others think.

That's deep, man. Total paradigm shift.

I've actually gotten a lot of valuable information from this thread. If I didn't like the jacket, I wouldn't have bought it. I know what I like, but there are a lot of guys on this forum who have a lot of knowledge and experience that I value. I posted this thread because I was curious what others here would have to say and I wanted to know if I got a fair deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads