• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
try Singapore!

laugh.gif

:'(

Zubberah

Reaction score
Little has really changed over the years. As far as I can remember Australia has been a poor proposition for buying shoes. Sydney is not much worse than any other state city IMO. What I do love is casual Fridays though - I always look forward to walking around central Sydney conservative business dress around lunchtimes and seeing the investment bankers/stockbrokers/lawyers dressed in their dark business suits and white / beige / cream pointy shoes I call "jester" shoes (they turn up at the front!) as they head to the Sydney's Temple of the Jester Shoe: the Ivy complex. Check this joint out on Friday / Saturday nights for the Return of the Jester Shoe Brigade. At least they have upgraded from wearing sneakers. But don't laugh, Sydney is at least trying to be aspirational, what with the availability of the Krug Trunk ($80k) and Hermes Steve bag (starting price $35k).

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My friend just got a job at ALDO. She told me that I should come in and she'd give me a discount. I told her that "I'd rather set myself on fire and try to put myself out with a bag of coins than buy shoes from there". She thinks they make "really awesome" shoes.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
My friend just got a job at ALDO. She told me that I should come in and she'd give me a discount. I told her that "I'd rather set myself on fire and try to put myself out with a bag of coins than buy shoes from there". She thinks they make "really awesome" shoes.
- & you are still friends with her..
smile.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- & you are still friends with her..
smile.gif

Well the "discount" is one of the lesser of her..."benefits" she can bestow upon me.
devil.gif

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Old Perth Boy now living amongst the yanks here - just dropping into the thread to say G'Day.

I was mostly wearing Blundies, Doc Martins, RMWs and DBs back then - so I can't really say much about quality dress shows in Oz.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by earthdragon
Arrived in Melbourne (home) today and took my folks to 'The Flower Drum', which was excellent and the service flawless.
I love that place.

whistler

Reaction score
I can confirm that shoes in Perth are terrible. I searched every store I could find for some of the nice shoes you see on this forum, but found nothing. Tokyo has awesome shoes though, so I've had plenty of choice here.

Terminator

Reaction score
You guys need to try living in Brisbane! For work I alternate between a couple of pairs of allen edmonds, a couple of pairs of vintage loake that i found in an op shop and spent a bit of time polishing up, 2 piars of the ymc strap boots (which I can also wear for play) and one pair of surprisingly nice-looking (although the quality is far inferior to the other pairs) country road chocolate captoes. For play I alternate between a pair of patent allen edmonds copleys, a pair of metallic pink mjolk shoes, a pair of silver dries van noten slip ons, a pair of chronicles of never (I am a very young looking 27, with a 19 year old girlfriend, and promote bands and a monthly club night so feel that I can get away with such choices), a pair of polo C&J double monk straps (I also sometimes wear these to work), a pair of dolce & gabanna combat boots and another pair of surprisingly nice country road suede derbys from the season. Apart from the op shop finds, crs, mjolks and chronicles of never shoes I've purchased all the other pairs online. Brisbane has virtually nothing. Although if I did have the money to splash out on one pair of shoes, I'd definitely get a pair of Herringbone shoes. I'm quite certain they are made by Cheaney. They look great.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Terminator
Brisbane has virtually nothing. Although if I did have the money to splash out on one pair of shoes, I'd definitely get a pair of Herringbone shoes. I'm quite certain they are made by Cheaney. They look great.

Yes, the Herringbone shoes are made by Cheaney and they are quite nice.
They are overpriced, though, albeit not quite as overpriced as the Churchs and Canali shoes stocked by Mitchell Ogilvie.

Really (as has been discussed by disgruntled Australian members in quite a few threads), the only option for Australians who like nice shoes and who don't want to pay exhorbitant mark-ups is to purchase online or during an overseas holiday.

I just received my first pair of Crockett & Jones shoes - delivered to my door for $450 thanks to SF member Salsalocust - and they are lovely. At 50% of the marked price of the made-for-Herringbone Cheaneys, they were an excellent deal.

extempore

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Terminator
You guys need to try living in Brisbane!
Brisbane has virtually nothing.

Something is not computing here.

Aus_MD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
Can you buy Fratelli Rossetti or Santoni online anywhere?

You mean these? Yoox.com has them at times.
EG are available in Sydney as are C&J.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually was looking for someone in Australia that would help me buy a lamp..

I can haz PM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads