• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion is not objective

diddy16

Reaction score
After being here for a little while this is my opinion, especially regarding the what are you wearing thread. I do not think that fashion is objective. I believe fashion should reflect a personality and not these shoes cost a lot of money and everyone else told me i should buy them. I love seeing how other people dress, and respect it and even believe i could guess what their personality is like from just seeing what they wear. ok rant over.

strsinthesky

Reaction score
Yeah, I like how some of the models on the runway wear the most ridiculous clothing yet are not ridiculed.
failure.jpg

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by strsinthesky
Yeah, I like how some of the models on the runway wear the most ridiculous clothing yet are not ridiculed.
failure.jpg

I fail to see how this relates and I don't detect any hints of sarcasm. It would make more sense to ridicule the designer, they control the direction of not only the clothing, but the show also. As for the OP, it is not that only one style is well received, it is that a few basic points ought to be satisfied in an outfit. I guess the look you were going for is that you don't much care about your overall appearance?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Novel insights. What are your thoughts on religion, art, postmodernism, beauty, and morality?

diddy16

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
Novel insights. What are your thoughts on religion, art, postmodernism, beauty, and morality?

see original post.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has shifted gears, get with the program.
fallStyle_01.jpg
galliano_008_mens.jpg

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thom_browne3.jpg

Originally Posted by chronoaug
This thread is now about posting really subtle runway pictures like this:

tbrosesuit.jpg

Would probably be better if it was brooks bros methinks. Right? Rite?

And this fearfulness is why we never have any innovation in WAYWT
laugh.gif
!

Bislane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gravitas
I fail to see how this relates and I don't detect any hints of sarcasm. It would make more sense to ridicule the designer, they control the direction of not only the clothing, but the show also. As for the OP, it is not that only one style is well received, it is that a few basic points ought to be satisfied in an outfit. I guess the look you were going for is that you don't much care about your overall appearance?

I think his point is that while some may judge a WAYWT pic as ridiculous and lacking in "clear principles of style", the same people might praise a runway shot of something that is actually quite similar. In other words it's ok for certain members of the industry to blur the line between the acceptable and the unacceptable (and you can't say this doesn't happen periodically) but not for forward-thinking consumers?

This is assuming a specific scenario but that was what I inferred the OP was getting at - that we may not find something to fit with our set idea of fashion, but it doesn't mean that it should be disregarded without giving it at least a little merit.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
number-nine-spring-summer-2009-62708-1.jpg

galliano_008_mens.jpg

This is some next level ****! WAYWT here I come!

Originally Posted by Bislane
I think his point is that while some may judge a WAYWT pic as ridiculous and lacking in "clear principles of style", the same people might praise a runway shot of something that is actually quite similar. In other words it's ok for certain members of the industry to blur the line between the acceptable and the unacceptable (and you can't say this doesn't happen periodically) but not for forward-thinking consumers?

This is assuming a specific scenario but that was what I inferred the OP was getting at - that we may not find something to fit with our set idea of fashion, but it doesn't mean that it should be disregarded without giving it at least a little merit.

They are unrelated, many runway items are not meant for the "real" world. Runway items are oft exaggerated, and do not transfer to the real world, except for in small details. He is not avant-garde in any way, shape or form, so attempting to excuse his look under the guise of such is misguided.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics