• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dunhill DB navy blazer owners - check in

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Can members who own the Dunhill 3x2 DB navy blazer made in Italy with the enamlled buttons please tell me whether the blazer is actually a pure 3x2 or whether it is a 3roll1.5x2?
Confused. D/B blazers have buttons in pairs. So you can have a 2/1, a 4/1 or 4/2, a 6/1...etc. Not sure either what you have or what you are asking. A "3roll1.5x2"? Does your blazer exist in more than three dimensions?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I think I meant to ask whether it is a 6 roll 1.5, 6x2 or 6x1.

OK.

Look for the inner button, the one that buttons inside the coat.

That tells you the button level -- whether it is a 6/1 or a 6/2.

Occasionally there is a button at each level, but rarely.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm. Thanks for the info. I did not know this little secret. I just checked and the inner button is at the level of the 2nd button. The reason I am confused is that the roll of the lapel is such that the 2nd external buttonhole is only half isible due to the other half going with the roll of the lapel (if that makes any sense); if it was a 6 roll 1.5 then that would mean that I would have to do up the bottom button which is supposedly a sartorial no-no although apparently Prince Charles does up the bottom button of DB blazers and the Prince of Wales is supposed to, by tradition, never be able to make a sartorial mistake).

I think the guideline re the no-no's is no bottom button buttoned on SB coats, unless it is very cold or windy, but with DB coats you have the option esp when the coat is cut for it. A 4/1 extends the lapel line on a shorter dude, like this old English guy:

double-breasted-suit-pic10.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads