• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Industry Article: 2008 Most Prestifious Men's Luxury Brand

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heard546
According to Forbes Best Life, Brioni and Canali are in the top 5 in the luxury tie market. And ranked about the same in the Robb Report.

-tony

For what it's worth, Forbes is generally pretty close to the mark on this stuff.

Doc4

Reaction score
Everyone slamming Tommy Bahama ...

Not a brand really on my radar too much, although I did get one of their shirts a few years back at a discount, and was wondering what all the broo-ha-ha was about.

... so I went and looked at the T.B. website ...
eh.gif
laugh.gif
man that stuff is crap-o-la. (I must have gotten the only nice shirt they ever made ... a silk/linen blend short sleeved shirt in a subdued herringbone pattern. I think I paid about $20 for it.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
For what it's worth, Forbes is generally pretty close to the mark on this stuff.

rolleyes.gif

danyllau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robasaurus
Our customers, however, have Prada so ingrained into their minds as a top luxury brand thanks to marketing and promotion that they are often wary of even looking at something like Pal Zileri because they have never heard the name. Since they do not generally have the trained eye to differentiate what makes Pal Zileri so much nicer than Prada, they are left to my explanation, and being the salesman, I am almost always immediately mistrusted by my customers if I try to tell them about something they do not know. I must be making a "sales pitch". It can often be very difficult to work against marketing, and the consumer attitude towards these brands is very much an example of groupthink.

On the subject of Tommy Bahama, I have no issue with quality or value. That stuff all just looks awful. But hey, if you want to dress like a slobby 55-year-old couch commando, then more power to you.

I think prada has been going down the shithole lately... I don't realy know much about T.B, their stuff do not fit me at all (i am pretty slime) except the smallest khaki shorts i have, and it just happen to be pretty good.

Like you said, if someone never heard of a brand, it's hard to trust most sales rep on it lol. On an other note, do you find ur clients more incline to respect such "unknown" brand if they saw the price-tag at comparable price point of these popular brands?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glennie may be the world's most pestiferous men's brand.

billsayers

Reaction score
If anything, the results of this survey show the power of Marketing and brand equity. A lot of the brands listed have reached a status (a la Mercedes, Lexus, etc...) where brand image and status takes precedence over actual quality and craftsmanship.

This survey of wealthy individuals show that noone is immune to the marketing machine and consumerism that have such a strong role in our lives.

robasaurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danyllau
Like you said, if someone never heard of a brand, it's hard to trust most sales rep on it lol. On an other note, do you find ur clients more incline to respect such "unknown" brand if they saw the price-tag at comparable price point of these popular brands?

I find the opposite, in fact. If the garment carries a comparable price tag but the client has not heard of the brand before, they generally have a tough time believing said garment to be worth that kind of money. Of course, this has to be taken with a grain of salt as I live in Calgary, Canada and many of the customers I deal with are total hicks.

Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

yo!

Reaction score
I might be a little late to the party but, Calvin Klein should not be on that list.

Calvin Klein is the biggest joke of a designer brand ever. Their standard line is absolute rubbish and the fit is essentially standard retail boxy.

They do have others like CK and Calvin Klein Collection which may be better, but what kind of a brand can allow its main line (Calvin Klein) to be such crap and still retain a designer reputation? This is where clever marketing comes in, me thinks...

heard546

Reaction score
I became aware of the brand because I saw some ties for sale on ebay. Not much exposer beyond that. However, the bidding prices where numerous and rather high. So, I assumed that it must be a luxury brand because some my customers were bidding against me. Of course I lost.

tony

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
There is no reason to go beyond...

2583404409_71f61dafe3.jpg

bijan01.jpg

- B

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
I might be a little late to the party but, Calvin Klein should not be on that list.

Calvin Klein is the biggest joke of a designer brand ever. Their standard line is absolute rubbish and the fit is essentially standard retail boxy.

They do have others like CK and Calvin Klein Collection which may be better, but what kind of a brand can allow its main line (Calvin Klein) to be such crap and still retain a designer reputation? This is where clever marketing comes in, me thinks...

I couldn't agree more. I can say the same thing about Guess.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!

True, but CK is still much more designer then say Ralph Lauren.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
I honestly am having trouble coming to terms with the fact that anyone would consider Tommy Bahama to be a luxurious brand. Every time I see one of the print ads I instantly cringe.

Even the name screams middle-aged balding white male on vacation in the tropics in a 3-star hotel with a slightly dysfunctional family.

dopamine

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dkzzzz
True, but CK is still much more designer then say Ralph Lauren.

At least Ralph Lauren sources some good stuff. CK should mostly be thrown in the trash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads