• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Daddy Bag" Advice

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I'm going to have a daughter in April. Very excited.

My baby mama is asking about gifts for me for Xmas, which is always difficult (as I am sure it is for all SF members' partners), but I thought a good idea might be to ask for a quality "daddy-bag" for me to carry necessities like diapers, wipes, and other miscellaneous gear that might be necessary as my little girl grows up. Might be nice to have some functionality for myself, too.

The challenge is that none of the purpose-built daddy bags I have seen are remotely attractive to me. They are ballistic nylon and such, and while they're probably very functional and waterproof and blah-blah-blah, I am resisting them. If I wanted everything to be waterproof and purely functional, I'd wear cargo pants and Crocs.

What I have in mind is more of a quality brown or tan leather messenger bag or shoulder bag, perhaps even a backpack, that will probably sacrifice some functionality but be way, way up the style meter. Something that will work with my conservative tailored wardrobe. Trite as it may sound, what's coming to my mind is something like a bag you'd see Indiana Jones carrying - stylish yet fairly rugged, and if I get some baby puke on it, I can write it off to patina.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I welcome advice, too, as in what functionalities I should not be willing to compromise on.

Thanks in advance.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't get a bag. Get a vest.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take it this is going to be your first baby, ever?

That idea of wanting to look good, to sacrifice functionality for good looks, it will fade away, super FAST.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something like a British field bag with quick release straps?

B622Leather.jpg

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Storck Sak "Jamie".

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Something like a British field bag with quick release straps?

B622Leather.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. Is this a good general term ("British Field Bag") to use when searching? Any particularly quality brands to look for?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Get a Filson tote or 257. The standard-issue diaper bags are useless. Too small and ugly. All you need is a regular bag and a changing pad. In fact, buy a changing pad and you won't need a new bag...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
So I'm going to have a daughter in April. Very excited.

First of all, contratulations, D...it will be quite a trip!

Second, you're right: don't fall for that "it's made to be a diaper bag" stuff. Get something you like. The only thing you really need is a diaper pad so you can address execrement in any location, and compartments in the bag to hold diapers, cloths, food, etc.

I wouldn't do leather because the nicest bags are somewhat inflexible (e.g., bridle) and you want to be able to pack the thing with odd items. You can never predict what you have to put in that thing.

How about a Filson from Crane's above? E.g.:

240.jpg

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbjorn
Get a Filson tote or 257. The standard-issue diaper bags are useless. Too small and ugly. All you need is a regular bag and a changing pad. In fact, buy a changing pad and you won't need a new bag...

Yeah, what Bjorn said ^^^.

- B

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TopHatCat
Perhaps something from Petunia Pickle Bottom's new Scout line of diaper bags for dads?

I hadn't even looked at this until now, assuming from the name it had been a joke. Actually a nice suggestion, thanks!

Also thanks to all for the other suggestions. I now have a short list to consider. As always, SF delivers with the goods.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would just let baby mama worry about that stuff
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads