• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The most beautiful watch, ever

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
280394564_9dtxy-XL.jpg
- B

That is close, but I think the VC is better - the dial layout and proportions and the mix of printing and applied Cross combine with the hands for a perfect face.
p_33093.jpg
Your JLC looks a lot more like the flagship VC Patrimony.
p_81180.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I usually hate those indicators as well, but the design of the watch is so perfect.

What about the Grande Date? It ditches both and is mechanically the same otherwise. Same case and display back. If I can sell my Big Pilot any time soon, I may get one in steel:

Batman_Reverso_Grande_Date.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What about the Grande Date? It ditches both and is mechanically the same otherwise. Same case and display back. If I can sell my Big Pilot any time soon, I may get one in steel:

Batman_Reverso_Grande_Date.jpg

Make sure you try it on (if you haven't already). XGT proportions don't work for everyone

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Make sure you try it on (if you haven't already). XGT proportions don't work for everyone

I've tried it on a few times. I normally wear a Portuguese, though, so I think it will be fine.

I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was fine with the Big Pilot, after all.
I'm not just talking about the thickness. I'm also fine with my Big Pilot but I had to sell my RGD after a few weeks. Couldn't stand the proportions.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The VC and vox JLC are great dress watches, IMO.

I really like that they don't have seconds hands. For whatever reason, I don't think it can be a true dress watch if it has a seconds hands (even though it might otherwise be a great looking watch).

I've considered going out and finding an older model, as all the ones I like today have a really high premium, IMO. Especially for how few occasions I would want a true dress watch.

Longines has one that is similar but feels just a bit off.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grail watch

5110PT_felipe1.jpg

1.jpg

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I looked at these:

Originally Posted by dopey
That is close, but I think the VC is better - the dial layout and proportions and the mix of printing and applied Cross combine with the hands for a perfect face.
p_33093.jpg

215.021_main.jpg

When I bought this:

Your JLC looks a lot more like the flagship VC Patrimony.
p_81180.jpg
I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I don't care about movements much, but to my eye, the Patrimony just has better proportions. The flat one you like is really nice, but didn't look good on my wrist. Lange I love, but find that they make much more elegant watches for cases than for wrists.

I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the platinum version will also take $110k out of your pocket. But the good news is that the gold one sells for a measly $80k.

OUCH.

I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
I would classify myself as not a watch guy, but beginning to take a passing interest. Still, I can't imagine any scenario in which I'd spring that much for a watch.

The regular 7-days Portuguese sells for ~$7k in steel. I think it has one of the most beautiful and perfect dial layouts around. "Look, Ma! No cut-off numerals!"

port0.jpg

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like yours better, too. The lugs are more gracefully integrated with the case. I hate funky lugs.
I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I would have thought the opposite, based on your furniture tastes - there is something a bit more bauhaus-inspired in the first one's lugs

To me, the watch case is a more simple form when the lugs are not so visually distinct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics