• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which suit to interview in?

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is my first post to style forums...

I know there are a lot of threads about this and I have heard different things so I am going to just ask for some advice that will be specific to me.

I am currently a college student who will be interviewing with the big 4 accounting firms in a couple of months for a summer internship. I cannot figure out if I have a suit appropriate for the interviews.

I currently have three suits none of which are your typical boring American fat fit navy or grey suit, they are all drop 8s instead of drop 6s.

I have a very nice Paul Smith suit which is a lighter blue with faint grey and pink pinstripes...which I am sure is completely out of the question.

I then have a Versace medium grey two button suit with some fairly obvious pin striping that could be see from a distance...my dad seems to think this is the best option but I have been told that pinstripes are a no no for interviewing.

I also have a navy Z Zegna two button suit which has a very sexy slender fit with a thinner lapel...it has a very modern fit that you see in magazines like GQ and Esquire...my dad insists that it is not formal enough for the accounting world.

I have been thinking about buying this very nice Ralph Lauren Black Label two button navy suit that has a more traditional fit close to that of my Versace suit...but I would really like to save the money if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want the best advice, post pictures of the last two suits you mentioned.

The Zenga suit sounds like the best option. As far as "formal", that's totally subjective to one's opinion. If you wear Zenga or Versace, you can bet you're going to be in a nicer suit than 90% of people who work at a big 4 accounting firm, unless you live in LA, NYC, or a couple of other places. Accounting isn't a very trendy industry, so most of the people aren't going to be dressed very fashionable.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
If you want the best advice, post pictures of the last two suits you mentioned.

+1

The shoes, tie and the shirt are improtant, too.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am on holiday visiting my father so I do not have any of the suits to show you.

I do not think I have ever seen a business man in a formal setting wearing something like my Zegna suit...and now thinking about it I do not think I would feel comfortable wearing it to an interview where all of the interviewers and interviewees wear really dreadful looking black or blue suits that fit like paper bags.

...I am not sure if I would be better off with the $200 "of the people" look or my pinstripes...

I feel like grey is non-threatening but the pinstripes kind of cancel that out so I really do not know.

I am narrowing it down to either the Versace or a new plain navy suit.

With the Versace suit I would probably wear a plain white shirt and some kind of solid color tie...prehaps red.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirWilliam
Unfortunately I am on holiday visiting my father so I do not have any of the suits to show you.

I do not think I have ever seen a business man in a formal setting wearing something like my Zegna suit...and now thinking about it I do not think I would feel comfortable wearing it to an interview where all of the interviewers and interviewees wear really dreadful looking black or blue suits that fit like paper bags.

...I am not sure if I would be better off with the $200 "of the people" look or my pinstripes...

I feel like grey is non-threatening but the pinstripes kind of cancel that out so I really do not know.

I am narrowing it down to either the Versace or a new plain navy suit.

With the Versace suit I would probably wear a plain white shirt and some kind of solid color tie...prehaps red.

You are probably right. These were my thoughts.

So let's find a solution with asking some questions:

- what kind of company do you want to work for?
- what is the standard at this company?
- what kind of job do you want to make there?
- Who are you (Sir?!)?
- what do you like to express (e.g. if you are applying for an artificial aprenticeship)?

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If pinstripes are a no-no for interviews, I was not aware of it--nor do I abide by that rule. My gut is that you should wear one of the suits you own, paired with a conservative shirt and tie.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the Versace suit I would probably wear a plain white shirt and some kind of solid color tie...prehaps burgundy.

Fixed.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
You are probably right. These were my thoughts.

So let's find a solution with asking some questions:

- what kind of company do you want to work for?
- what is the standard at this company?
- what kind of job do you want to make there?
- Who are you (Sir?!)?
- what do you like to express (e.g. if you are applying for an artificial aprenticeship)?

...Well I want to work for one of my Dad's companies but he wont hire me...so I am looking at the big four accounting firms (Ernst and Young, KPMG, Deloitte, PWC). To my knowledge they all have fairly formal dress codes however I will be working in California most likely and that generally means shirt and tie but no jacket.

The interviews will be for a summer internship which if I get it, it would turn into some kind of awful job dealing with auditing or tax...

Who am I? That is a very good question that I still have no real answer to.

One could say that I am a student in my junior year as an Accounting and Information Systems major at Santa Clara University.

Ringo

Reaction score
Just wear the Versace. No need to get something new. There is no problem whatsoever with pinstripes, and it sounds like the Versace has a more conservative cut than the Zegna. Like the others said, just pair it with a plain shirt, a conservative (or boring) tie, and dark shoes (probably better to go with black) and you'll be fine.

You'll be interviewing with accountants, who won't know or care much about what you're wearing. As you've touched on, the concern is wearing something that's too loud or flamboyant. Most of your fellow interviewers and fellow interviewees will be wearing Jos A. Banks, Brooks Brothers, and other department store suits (i.e. Jones NY, Calvin Klein, Polo) primarily in black and navy. Make sure you practice your sales pitch, come up with good questions, and have a good personality. The clothes should not be an issue at all. FYI, none of the firms you mentioned have "fairly formal dress codes." If you are on site at clients, you wear what what the client wears (usually business casual). If you're in the office, it's business casual. Regardless, make sure you do wear a suit to your interview.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...Well I want to work for one of my Dad's companies but he wont hire me...so I am looking at the big four accounting firms (Ernst and Young, KPMG, Deloitte, PWC). To my knowledge they all have fairly formal dress codes however I will be working in California most likely and that generally means shirt and tie but no jacket.

The interviews will be for a summer internship which if I get it, it would turn into some kind of awful job dealing with auditing or tax...

Who am I? That is a very good question that I still have no real answer to.

One could say that I am a student in my junior year as an Accounting and Information Systems major at Santa Clara University.

Well, you are a lucky boy and have a smart father.

Make a research on the dress codes. Look for blogs of other students they worked there. Perhaps there are pictures, too. Finally give them a call (if they are really big there will be many plants, so call a plant you won't work) and ask some questions. Check the internet sites for application information before.

But another question: Why the four big companies???

raphael

Reaction score
How can a Zegna suit not be formal enough for an interview?

I'm sure any of those suits are better than what 99% of candidates will be wearing for an entry-level job interview, or even for a mid-level job interview. Wear the newest one and dress it more conservatively with a well-pressed white shirt, proper shoes and a conservative contrasting tie.

And RL Black Label is NOT conservative. Not by a long shot.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Golf_Nerd
Well, you are a lucky boy and have a smart father.

Make a research on the dress codes. Look for blogs of other students they worked there. Perhaps there are pictures, too. Finally give them a call (if they are really big there will be many plants, so call a plant you won't work) and ask some questions. Check the internet sites for application information before.

But another question: Why the four big companies???

Well everyone wants to work for the big four...generally accountants will work at an accounting firm for a couple of years before presuing an accounting position at a company in a different industry. Most companies know of the big so if they see that on a resume they may be more inclined to hire me.

I will also be interviewing for an intership at some smaller firms like Moss Adams.

Originally Posted by raphael
How can a Zegna suit not be formal enough for an interview?

I'm sure any of those suits are better than what 99% of candidates will be wearing for an entry-level job interview, or even for a mid-level job interview. Wear the newest one and dress it more conservatively with a well-pressed white shirt, proper shoes and a conservative contrasting tie.

And RL Black Label is NOT conservative. Not by a long shot.

Well my Zegna suit is a Z Zenga suit so it has a young and by far the trimmest fit of any suit I have ever put on. It does not in anyway resemble the drop 6 Zegna suits you see at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus.

Yes I do agree that the Black Label is not conservative but they do make suits with more business like lapels, fabrics and single vents. It is the only Ralph Lauren line that fits without the need of major alteration...Purple Label gets close but I am far too poor for that line.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well everyone wants to work for the big four...generally accountants will work at an accounting firm for a couple of years before presuing an accounting position at a company in a different industry. Most companies know of the big so if they see that on a resume they may be more inclined to hire me.

I will also be interviewing for an intership at some smaller firms like Moss Adams.

Good luck!
smile.gif

pred02

Reaction score
If you pass the 1st round, you'll probably have a 2nd round, so you can wear the 2nd suit (versus one for all interviews).

I don't understand what the big deal, I mean this is not a pink suit or anything, so you won't look ridiculous. If you wear either of the suits, any dress shirt, and a tie matching to any degree I think no one is going to consider if its a Zegna or Walmart suit, they are interesting in hiring you because of your talent, not your suit.

Suit - gray, navy, or black.
Shirt - blue or white
Tie - anything not too flashy
Shoes - black

Most people in the business world don't even mind to dress that well, so even if you do make impression with a great outfit, they aren't likely to notice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads