• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

terrible style sightings!

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i just saw a grown man at a mid/high end lounge wear his french cuffs not folded back, simply putting the cufflinks at the farthest pair of holes (and a gaudy pair of huge black cufflinks, at that). this hurt my brain.

i also have seen multiple businessmen here in seattle with their suit jacket vents still sewn shut.

i did not have the heart to tell any of those people what they did wrong.

that is all.

your experiences?

youngScholar

Reaction score
I remember waiting for the train and seeing a man with trousers so long they ends had become frayed, as it was clear he had been repeatedly stepping on them.

In general, I see floor-length pants more often than I should.
confused.gif

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
90% of the suits in the Sydney conservative business dress.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i just saw a grown man at a mid/high end lounge wear his french cuffs not folded back, simply putting the cufflinks at the farthest pair of holes (and a gaudy pair of huge black cufflinks, at that). this hurt my brain.

i also have seen multiple businessmen here in seattle with their suit jacket vents still sewn shut.

i did not have the heart to tell any of those people what they did wrong.

that is all.

your experiences?

hahaha...i've seen that. all i can do is chuckle to myself.

laphroaig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
It's all relative. Coming from out west, the few times I make it to the conservative business dress I usually think many of the suits look quite good. The shoes on the other hand...
crazy.gif
but that's already covered in the other thread. I have to say, the sportcoat seems to be making in a big comeback in Sydney. With the recent cold weather I'm seeying many being worn casually, even by the younger crowd. I remember seeing one of the younger Harolds salesmen standing outside making a phone call. He was wearing very nicely fitting dark blue stripe suit and very nice brown suede laceups. Unfortunately, at least from a distance and in the sun, the sheen of the suit + matt of the shoes didn't work at all and has now gone on my things-not-to-try list.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laphroaig
It's all relative. Coming from out west, the few times I make it to the conservative business dress I usually think many of the suits look quite good. The shoes on the other hand...
crazy.gif
but that's already covered in the other thread.

I have to say, the sportcoat seems to be making in a big comeback in Sydney. With the recent cold weather I'm seeying many being worn casually, even by the younger crowd.

I remember seeing one of the younger Harolds salesmen standing outside making a phone call. He was wearing very nicely fitting dark blue stripe suit and very nice brown suede laceups. Unfortunately, at least from a distance and in the sun, the sheen of the suit + matt of the shoes didn't work at all and has now gone on my things-not-to-try list.

By "suits" I meant people who wear suits. Billy Walsh-esque.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really thought too much about people's ties except for disliking when they aren't worn tightly on the collar and I can see the button and/or a big space but I recently saw a guy at the hospital with a really large knot (which was also quite loose) and it looked absolutely horrible.

Star

Reaction score

Well thats probably me however the good news is my two I have rotated over the last few years are on the verge of falling apart and I am planning to do away with them over the new year.

However what I cannot stand is Suites in Martin Place without ties.....wtf! Why wear a business suite if you do not want to wear a tie otherwise might as well start wearing something in white from Miami Vice.

Cravate_Noire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like extra long arms.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Well thats probably me however the good news is my two I have rotated over the last few years are on the verge of falling apart and I am planning to do away with them over the new year.

However what I cannot stand is Suites in Martin Place without ties.....wtf! Why wear a business suite if you do not want to wear a tie otherwise might as well start wearing something in white from Miami Vice.

If you are looking for new suits, go for Herringbone on sale, Ethandesu should be able to hook you up.

The suit without tie can work, but it cant be a worsted cloth. Flannel, seersucker, linen etc I think could work.

Star

Reaction score
If you are looking for new suits, go for Herringbone on sale, Ethandesu should be able to hook you up.

The suit without tie can work, but it cant be a worsted cloth. Flannel, seersucker, linen etc I think could work.

My gripe is that you will see a chaps in Sydney wearing ultra conservative Pin Stripe suites (that don't also fit correctly) without a tie and top two buttons undone thinking they are the greatest thing since Butter.

The other horrid thing (though less common but I saw one today) is the wearing of a Pinstripe suite jacket with Jeans....... Ouch!

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sydneycentric
How about the way Kochie is dressed on Sunrise?

Words cannot explain what a @&6$%# that guy is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads