• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entourage

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
I think the martin scorsese angle has got to be one of the ******* dumbest, worst developments they've ever come up with. Scorsese made a career out of working with a major actor in different periods. First Harvey Keitel, then DeNiro etc, then he did a ton of stuff with Leo DiCaprio. Why in the **** would he ever, ever, go near an actor as horrible as Vincent Chase? And not horrible in terms of how bad Adrien Grenier is in reality, but how bad he is within the world of that show. It was such a cop out.
There's no evidence what-so-ever that the character of Vince is a bad actor. In the show, James Cameron put him in the highest grossing film of all time, and after that he made one bad movie that may or may not have been his fault. The show seems to hint that some people don't like his work, but that in no way means the show is depicting him as a terrible actor. As far as numbers go, Vince = DiCaprio seeing as Titanic was the highest grossing movie ever. I think you're misunderstanding the entire point of the show. It's portraying how you can be very talented, and have bad luck, and end up in the *******-or you could make it huge with no talent-it's trying to show that anything can happen in that industry. If you think they show is saying that Vince is a terrible actor, you're not watching. There are people here who simply hate the show, and any positive ending would have been a "bad one" because they don't seem to get the show.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the fact that the show is intentionally ambiguous about Vince's acting skills comes back to the roots of the show: Mark Wahlberg. Is MB a successful actor or is he a successful and talented actor?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I think the fact that the show is intentionally ambiguous about Vince's acting skills comes back to the roots of the show: Mark Wahlberg. Is MB a successful actor or is he a successful and talented actor?

Very good point. And just how much is autobiographical? I mean, the once successful, now washed up older brother? Can't be much more apparent than that.

Personally, I think MB is a fairly talented actor, that actually has some pretty good range. Not that he hasn't done some stinkers, but most actors have. He's also smart enough to know his days in front of the camera probably have an expiration date, so he's gotten pretty busy behind the camera. Smart guy IMO.

bcate3

Reaction score
Loved the finale but I'm in the camp of those who didn't really buy the Scorsese twist. Stranger things have happened in Hollywood though (e.g. Tarantino's well established habit of using has-beens)

The scene when Vince is talking outside to his childhood girl in front of the bridge made me think how much he looks like a young Travolta.

Originally Posted by w.mj
God, what a terrible finale. During the first season, the fantasy element made the series work even if Vince was the all-conquering hero. Now, having seen that for two or three seasons, the show needs some sort of depth, and after hinting at it all season, they totally threw it away. The best moments of the show always had a sort of melancholy, do-we-really-deserve-this feel, and it just seems so wrong for the season to end with another huge triumph.

Oh well, it was nice to see shots of LAX and Sunset Blvd. You can take the boy out of LA, but not LA out of the boy, I guess.

Fair comment, but I think the show has always been cotton-candy. The show is at its best when it depicts Hollywood & stardom from a funny, satirical angle. The challenge for the writers is where to take the storyline. The serious turn for Vince was a good change of pace, albeit a plodding one at times. When his fortunes went down, Turtle's (love-life) and Drama's (happiness with the bar) went up. Even E's trended up. But, I don't tune in for the, ahem, drama, and was a sucker for the ending. Best part was when Ari says that Vince & E's make-up was getting too gay for him as he's hugging the gang, happy that the band is back together.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
There's no evidence what-so-ever that the character of Vince is a bad actor. In the show, James Cameron put him in the highest grossing film of all time, and after that he made one bad movie that may or may not have been his fault. The show seems to hint that some people don't like his work, but that in no way means the show is depicting him as a terrible actor. As far as numbers go, Vince = DiCaprio seeing as Titanic was the highest grossing movie ever.

I think you're misunderstanding the entire point of the show. It's portraying how you can be very talented, and have bad luck, and end up in the *******-or you could make it huge with no talent-it's trying to show that anything can happen in that industry. If you think they show is saying that Vince is a terrible actor, you're not watching.

There are people here who simply hate the show, and any positive ending would have been a "bad one" because they don't seem to get the show.

Are you kidding? When every director turns you down, when you're box office poison, you get horrible reviews, your friends and your family call you out for terrible acting in what was meant to be your magnum opus, you're a terrible actor. He was beyond horrible in Medellin, everyone said so. Titanic and a ******* super hero movie are two different things. Superhero movies are not meant to showcase good acting or any real artistic value. To compare vincent chase to DiCaprio shows a pretty lack of knowledge of what Leo has done in his earlier career on your part. Vince has gotten horrible reviews, including his first major movie role.

Also, it has been hinted at many times that part of the whole premise behind the show is that Chase is a mediocre actor who happens to look and act like a movie star. Ari Gold said it himself, and if you look at the client list of Ari Emmanuel, the real guy, he knows about actors. For the most part, Scorsese and Gus van Sant are not the type of directors that would normally be interested in someone like Vinny Chase, if you know anything at all about their catalogues.

I don't know anyone who knows anything who didn't think the Scorsese angle was absolutely marsupialed. Maybe Michael Berg or Spielberg, but not Scorsese.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcate3
The scene when Vince is talking outside to his childhood girl in front of the bridge made me think how much he looks like a young Travolta.

Fair comment, but I think the show has always been cotton-candy. The show is at its best when it depicts Hollywood & stardom from a funny, satirical angle. The challenge for the writers is where to take the storyline. The serious turn for Vince was a good change of pace, albeit a plodding one at times. When his fortunes went down, Turtle's (love-life) and Drama's (happiness with the bar) went up. Even E's trended up. But, I don't tune in for the, ahem, drama, and was a sucker for the ending. Best part was when Ari says that Vince & E's make-up was getting too gay for him as he's hugging the gang, happy that the band is back together.

Exactly it's just a nice funny, sometimes mildly dramatic show. You want them to succeed and it's fun to watch. Of course you have to suspend belief a little, but Martin Scorsese treating Vincent Chase like an offer only actor when he isn't even meeting only? That's just too much to swallow. It's not a big deal at all, it's just a show, but it's still bullshit. Martin Scorsese has never and will never hire a lead who has had a career like Vincent Chases. Look at all of his leading men, none of them are like that.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a big deal at all, it's just a show, but it's still bullshit. Martin Scorsese has never and will never hire a lead who has had a career like Vincent Chases. Look at all of his leading men, none of them are like that.

I generally agree but he hired Nick Cage as lead on BOTD, at a time when Cage had become a Bruckheimer/Bay *****. Cage was still very talented but he was on a slope of only starring in giant turds, and that didn't exactly do much for his acting skills.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally agree but he hired Nick Cage as lead on BOTD, at a time when Cage had become a Bruckheimer/Bay *****. Cage was still very talented but he was on a slope of only starring in giant turds, and that didn't exactly do much for his acting skills.

Good call, that was certainly a trip for Scorsese. You can tell he realized his mistake because he tends to rehire actors over and over if he likes them. I'm sorry, but I do not believe for a minute that Vincent Chase could follow in the giant foosteps of Harvey Keitel, DeNiro, and Leonardo DiCaprio.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe there's more to the Scorsese love for Vince than just the couple of scenes from Smoke Jumpers that he saw. Scorsese was born and raised in Queens so maybe he feels he'd be giving the "hometown boy" a shot at redemption in a movie filmed in NYC.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Maybe there's more to the Scorsese love for Vince than just the couple of scenes from Smoke Jumpers that he saw. Scorsese was born and raised in Queens so maybe he feels he'd be giving the "hometown boy" a shot at redemption in a movie filmed in NYC.

This brings up Queen's Blvd. Wasn't his acting supposed to have been very good in that indie flick?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian

Absolutely, but if Entourage stays at all true to life, it will be a horrific failure. Scorsese only picks actors that showed brilliance at the begining of their careers. Not mediocrity throughout and one cheesy super hero movie that made a lot of money.

Although, since this season has been depressing, he'll obviously be hailed as the second comming and it will probably be really fun to watch, just exceptionally bullshitty.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Absolutely, but if Entourage stays at all true to life, it will be a horrific failure. Scorsese only picks actors that showed brilliance at the begining of their careers. Not mediocrity throughout and one cheesy super hero movie that made a lot of money.

Although, since this season has been depressing, he'll obviously be hailed as the second comming and it will probably be really fun to watch, just exceptionally bullshitty.

Yeah, it's been a while since we've seen Vince smiling on a red carpet.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding? When every director turns you down, when you're box office poison, you get horrible reviews, your friends and your family call you out for terrible acting
This is all based on one movie he did.
To compare vincent chase to DiCaprio shows a pretty lack of knowledge of what Leo has done in his earlier career on your part. .
They both stared in the highest grossing movie.
For the most part, Scorsese and Gus van Sant are not the type of directors that would normally be interested in someone like Vinny Chase
Maybe you missed the last 10 minutes of the show. They were both interested in him
wink.gif
You still don't seem to get it. That's what happened in the ******* show. Scorsese saw the clips and LIKED THEM. That's what is happening. You seem to not understand the difference between real life and what is going on in the show. In the show, Martin Scorsese saw some work Vince did and liked it. Apparently someone likes his acting. You seem to feel the character of Vince isn't a very good actor, the show is stating otherwise when Scorsese puts him in a movie. I'm not sure how much more clear they can make it for you.

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me the best part of the episode was seeing the guys in NYC. I had a smile on my face the first 10 minutes. The moms were great. But very little Ari and no Lloyd
frown.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
This is all based on one movie he did.

They both stared in the highest grossing movie.

Maybe you missed the last 10 minutes of the show. They were both interested in him
wink.gif

You still don't seem to get it. That's what happened in the ******* show. Scorsese saw the clips and LIKED THEM. That's what is happening.

You seem to not understand the difference between real life and what is going on in the show. In the show, Martin Scorsese saw some work Vince did and liked it. Apparently someone likes his acting.

You seem to feel the character of Vince isn't a very good actor, the show is stating otherwise when Scorsese puts him in a movie. I'm not sure how much more clear they can make it for you.

You seem to not have a brain. It has nothing to do with what I think of Vince. It's a TV show, I really don't care. However, it is a show that is billed as being a realistic representation of hollywood. Head On was a cheesy action film in which Vince's acting was completely and utterly panned. Then in Medeillin, where they had 100% artistic license and control, he was a laughable disaster. A total and complete catastrophe. Everyone including his friends and family panned him. Remember how mad Ari got when E let him see the reviews from Head On? Again, you are comparing him to DiCaprio when they couldn't be more different. DiCaprio established himself as a serious, noteworthy actor LONG before Titanic. Ever watch This Boy's Life (where he stars opposite ******* Robert DeNiro) or What's Eating Gilbert Grape (a movie that includes Johnny Depp), then how about Marvin's Room where he works with Merryl Streep, Robert DeNiro and Diane Keaton? All of this, including Basketball Diaries happened BEFORE Titanic.

Stop making the comparison, no one else sees it that way. Aquaman is a ****** blockbuster that sells huge. Scorsese doesn't care about that, and Van Sant certainly doesn't. If they pick him it's on the strength of these alleged scenes. Do you still not understand that this is not realistic at all? Yes, you can argue that both of them suddenly love him based on some dailies from Smoke Jumpers, but to say that Scorsese is interested in him based on a cheesy super hero movie is really quite stupid. In the case of DiCaprio, Scorsese had more than a few films in which DiCaprio acted with legends and did a very good job. In any case, in observing Scorsese's entire career, not to mention Van Sant, neither would ever get near someone like Vincent Chase who is basically a facsimile of Colin Farell (who Ari Gold basically compares him to). So again, perhaps they did like his acting, but it's still 100% unrealistic and would never, ever happen. That being said i realize it's a TV show and will continue watching. I find it a great show to watch, it's fun and it entertains me. Still, I think they **** the bed with that ending.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics