• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite musical decade

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based on what I listen to the most, 90's and 2000's. Weird how the 00's has the least votes, but I bet the majority of people's itunes libraries from this site are comprised of music made in 2000 or later. It's almost as if the person who made this thread doesn't understand his own poll. The 2000's have hahahaha after the number, which implies the poll is asking which decade produced the best quality music. The poll asks what is listened to the most, which, if you're 30 or younger, is probably music made in the last 9 years.

dave

Reaction score
I'm going with the 60s because of it's historic merit as well as the plain ol kickassedness of everything that pre-dates the damn hippies.

60s soul is still THE staple in my rotataion.

early to mid-60s sees the birth of ska & rocksteady. (depending on who you listen to it could've been the 50s but Roland alphonso says '62 so I say '62)

late 60s is proto-punk garage rockers like the sonics, the Monks.

and the most significant development of the 60s is.....The Who.

there was also the beatles, the stones, the beach boys etc. so definitely the 60s.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Purely in terms of the music you enjoy listening to most.

Just for my personal listening pleasure? Probably the 90s and into the 00's. 90s were more for the alternative type stuff for me though, and the 00s are all about ambient, lush ambient, etc.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
90's: best hip hop + rebirth of soul through the acid jazz movement (not that cheesy RnB stuff) + great party music (Chicago-born true house music) + I was in my 20s

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
the 50s were awesome...

-Elvis sun records era
-Eddie Cochran
-Gene Vincent
-Johnny Burnette
-Little Richard
-Charlie Rich
-Mickey Hawkes
-Joe Bennett and the Sparkletones
-Janis Martin
-Wanda Jackson
-The Collins Kids
-Johnny Cash sun era
-The Cadillacs
-The Crows
-The Wrens
-Ruth Brown
-Lavern Baker
-Big Joe Turner
-The Comets
-and countless numbers of "one hit wonders" that put out some amazing music

60s are great for reasons Dave mentioned...Atlantic Records, Tamla Motown Stax, soul, ska, garage.....fuckin amazing

Maybe heretical to some, The Who is one of the most overrated bands imo.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
Based on what I listen to the most, 90's and 2000's. Weird how the 00's has the least votes, but I bet the majority of people's itunes libraries from this site are comprised of music made in 2000 or later. It's almost as if the person who made this thread doesn't understand his own poll. The 2000's have hahahaha after the number, which implies the poll is asking which decade produced the best quality music. The poll asks what is listened to the most, which, if you're 30 or younger, is probably music made in the last 9 years.
New music carries the power of novelty to the ear. Old music that you still listen has more credibility. In that sense, I don't think what decade's music you listen to most reflects your favorite decade of music. I voted for the 80s because I love cheesy pop & synth. 80s pop was something I could get behind, whereas 00s pop is mass-produced faux-hip-hop beat crap to me (with intermittent exceptions, of course). I listen to it more because I live in this decade, but that doesn't mean it's my favorite. Like I said, novelty has its own value when it comes to music, but it shouldn't be misconstrued as something its not. Edit: I don't use iTunes.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

Ouch.

no doubt about the rest of what you said but ouch.

I could likely live the rest of my life out with only the recordings from Stax and Studio one.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart

I agree.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I agree.

I don't have too much love for them beyond Live at Leeds and Tommy, but those two are classics!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd say that about 75% of what i listen to is from the 90's. Check my playlist if you don't believe me.
smile.gif

soulstylist

Reaction score
...don't have to write it myself:

Originally Posted by dave
I'm going with the 60s because of it's historic merit as well as the plain ol kickassedness of everything that pre-dates the damn hippies.

60s soul is still THE staple in my rotataion.

early to mid-60s sees the birth of ska & rocksteady. (depending on who you listen to it could've been the 50s but Roland alphonso says '62 so I say '62)

late 60s is proto-punk garage rockers like the sonics, the Monks.

...but have to scratch out this part:

Originally Posted by dave
and the most significant development of the 60s is.....The Who.

there was also the beatles, the stones, the beach boys etc. so definitely the 60s.

...but have to feather it out a bit - love 50s and early 60s R&B and Rockabilly and also prefer late 60s, early 70s reggay to ska - ohhh and the there is FUNK!...

...but basicly thats just a frame for (mostly black) 6ts...

...my two labels would be Okeh and Pama btw...

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
90's: best hip hop + rebirth of soul through the acid jazz movement (not that cheesy RnB stuff) + great party music (Chicago-born true house music) + I was in my 20s

Hell yeah, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer killin' it at the same time. That **** was off the hook.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Earlier I said 60's hands down, but I think I will add the 1990's as well. I wasn't even a glimmer in my dads eye in the 60's and I was not musically aware in the 1990's but a lot of what I listen to now is a product of those 2 decades.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Hell yeah, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer killin' it at the same time. That **** was off the hook.
I'd argue that the year 1990 (Hammer, Ice) was probably the culmination and end/death of the 1980's era of manufactured one-hit wonders.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
romantic era, if that counts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads