• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why is plaid flannel considered cool when it really isn't?

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the deal with herringbone? Who in the world wants to look like Scottish shepard? Let's get real here people. Get your **** together.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Since no one else has stepped up to bat, I'll defend the OP's point.

I myself have wondered where plaid flannel falls in the style vs. fashion spectrum. One could easily argue it's a classic look, part of the Americana workwear canon. People have been wearing it for decades and will continue to do so.

On the other hand, its insane growing popularity in the past few years, especially among urban hipsters, signals it has become a fashion trend. When a $20 plaid shirt that can be found at LL.Bean is now re-cut by Engineered Garments and sold for $200, it is a trend. When mass market followers like J.Crew and Gap follow suit, you have full blown plaid mania.

My thinking? Both parties are right. If you have always worn plaid because it looks good and it's comfortable, good for you. If you live in a city and have recently decked yourself in a buffalo plaid jacket, super-skinny plaid shirt, and rubber duck boots because it's "real," congratulations, you're a fashion victim.

Chrispy

Reaction score
I go to a rural school in NH, I think im safe wearing flannel. However, it is starting to get too cold to just wear a pendleton shirt

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Exactly, Droog. I stopped wearing plaid flannel precisely because I saw so incredibly many people wearing it here in Austin. It's widely available at the mall, and every hipster has it as a staple. It is precisely because I want to look different from the mobs that I have ceased using it.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog

On the other hand, its insane growing popularity in the past few years, especially among urban hipsters, signals it has become a fashion trend. When a $20 plaid shirt that can be found at LL.Bean is now re-cut by Engineered Garments and sold for $200, it is a trend. When mass market followers like J.Crew and Gap follow suit, you have full blown plaid mania.

The very same could be said for repro's of 501s, which are pretty much the de rigeur around here (or any other dark, slim, slightly tapered/straight jean). You can buy them from Levi's for $35, or you can get them from Iron Heart or a brand like that for possibly ten times as much. Granted the latter are of higher quality, but the EG flannel would probably be nicer than the LL Bean one.

People like to think they're not being fashionable but "classic", that they don't follow trends, but I think it could be said that right now "classic" is becoming fashionable. Half of the clueless inner city kids at my public high school are wearing denim like I described.

reprehensible

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I'm still waiting for B1FF to post a WAYWT from his older brother's VIC-20.

Jokes I didn't expect to see on a forum about clothes: that one.

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
You can't wear all black because then your a victim of the Goth Ninja.
You can't wear bright colors because then your a victim of New Rave hipsterism.
You can't wear preppy because then your a victim of NYC hipsterism.
You can't wear flannel because your not a chainsaw wielding mountain man.

Can't go dark, rock bright color, clean it up or get rough, What the ***** left?.

I'll start wearing paisley and madras but some smart ass Indian guy will tell me off for bastardizing his heritage.

Rock

Reaction score
C'mon Rye, be a maverick. Breastplate x cape x speared dragon. Vintage inspired.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I
inlove.gif
plaid flannel! Like everyhting else, there's good plaids and bad plaids....

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the OP. A lot of people wear some really bad stuff and a lot of designers make really terrible stuff.

There's nothing inherently wrong with plaid. However, like with chambrays as I mentioned before, some people can pull it off and some can't. I can't wear turtlenecks or spread collars.

If you can then go for it. If you look like a late-teen ***** dressing up as a lumberjack then you can't -- unfortunately, most plaid wearers fall into this category.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Can't go dark, rock bright color, clean it up or get rough, What the ***** left?.

Please, visit the kilt thread.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by B1FF
One random photo of one obscure guy wearing plaid twenty years ago doesn't disprove his point.
Are you an idiot? Edit: To be a bit more constructive, I don't care if flannels are in style or go out of style or whatever. They're warm, comfortable, and as long as they fit well I think they're a great article of clothing to have in your closet. In fact, I'm wearing one right now. =D

Mauby

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
You can't wear all black because then your a victim of the Goth Ninja.
You can't wear bright colors because then your a victim of New Rave hipsterism.
You can't wear preppy because then your a victim of NYC hipsterism.
You can't wear flannel because your not a chainsaw wielding mountain man.

I'll start wearing paisley and madras but some smart ass Indian guy will tell me off for bastardizing his heritage.

That was good.

Flannel is warm, why not wear it? It's also soft, feels like cotton's version of cashmere. I wouldn't wear it to work, unless I start chopping firewood for a living, but come on, it's comfortable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads