• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lesser 9.5/10 ounce book

newtrane

Reaction score
Would you consider the Lesser 9.5/10 ounce book 10 months fabric for Zurich, Switzerland? Many thanks for your help!

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I'll tell you when my suit from a navy cloth from this bunch will be finished in the next few months...

newtrane

Reaction score
I guess I will use the fabric for a summer suit then ... many thanks for your help!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newtrane
I guess I will use the fabric for a summer suit then ... many thanks for your help!

Sator's body does not respond to cloth the way anyone else's does.

9.5/10 is a perfect 10 month book for you, provided you have a coat for the cold days. An unusual heatwave will probably make it unwearable, but 25 C would be perfectly fine.

tazmaniac

Reaction score
I have commissioned a three-piece from this book, so I have the flexibility to add the waistcoat or leave it off. I think, however, that even as a two piece, it will be useful for more than just summer. Manton put it perfectly, in my opinion.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lesser's plain weave, along with those of several other top cloth merchants, are indeed cool but are a little too frigid for actual winter, unless you personally run very hot or work in an office where they boil you alive.
eh.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Sator's body does not respond to cloth the way anyone else's does.

9.5/10 is a perfect 10 month book for you, provided you have a coat for the cold days. An unusual heatwave will probably make it unwearable, but 25 C would be perfectly fine.

QFT. I'd die in 16oz... even when it's well below freezing... no way I could routinely where that indoors.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
QFT. I'd die in 16oz... even when it's well below freezing... no way I could routinely where that indoors.

I used to think the same thing would happen to me, but it doesn't. I can wear 16 ounce indoors in winter happily, most of the time. I would die in it in other weather. Temperature-wise, I am sure that makes no sense: I can wear it in a 65 degree room on a 30 degree day, but not outdoors in 65 degree weather. I don't know what explains that.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the cloth. Tweeds are often heavier but they have a very porous weave and a certain sponginess to their yarns which makes them insular but not necessarily either smothering or too heavy. The problem with heavier worsted cloths is thats after 13oz, they begin to become dead weight on the shoulder. That was always a complaint for wool overcoat cloths, where to get insulation, they had to be very heavy which tired the body. That is why cashmeres are generally preferred for overcoats, they provide warmth without weight.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Depends on the cloth. Tweeds are often heavier but they have a very porous weave and a certain sponginess to their yarns which makes them insular but not necessarily either smothering or too heavy.

The problem with heavier worsted cloths is thats after 13oz, they begin to become dead weight on the shoulder. That was always a complaint for wool overcoat cloths, where to get insulation, they had to be very heavy which tired the body. That is why cashmeres are generally preferred for overcoats, they provide warmth without weight.

Compared with a big manly tough guy he-man like you, I am sure I am a toothpick, muscle-wise, and 16 ounce worsted does not tire me at all, so this gets a big
rolleyes.gif

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to love heavy wools/tweeds but I just melt in them. IAMMAT had a tweed I fell in lurve with but when I put my hands on the fabric I knew I couldn't manage it.

Too bad as I lve the materials.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to love heavy wools/tweeds but I just melt in them. IAMMAT had a tweed I fell in lurve with but when I put my hands on the fabric I knew I couldn't manage it. Too bad as I lve the materials.
There are a lot of beautiful fabrics which just dont mesh with people's walks of life in metro areas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads