• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wear a Sport Coat/Blazer?

ProfessorShak

Reaction score
My fondness for sport coats has become a curiosity. Id like to know how SF members wear their coats, since I'm trying to incorporate them into my daily wear. So the poll question is how often do you wear them?

If you're gonna leave a reply please dont leave out any juicy details (What style/colors you wear, what do you wear it with, When NOT to wear it, etc...

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
maybe 4 or 5 times a week. I almost always have at least a casual jacket on.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not as often as I'd like for a couple reasons. I don't have that many and I live in LA...up until a couple days ago it was, like, 85 or above for weeks.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd like to do so more if it was a little more accepted amongst those around me. Having the extra pockets to put stuff in is great since the shape of my legs makes my pockets bulge with keys/phone in them.

My roommate picked up a khaki cotton sport coat a little while back and has been wearing it like crazy...I am hoping that will condition people a little more towards the wearing of a wool blazer

enthuesd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I'd like to do so more if it was a little more accepted amongst those around me.

I feel the same way.

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ProfessorShak
My fondness for sport coats has become a curiosity. Id like to know how SF members wear their coats, since I'm trying to incorporate them into my daily wear. So the poll question is how often do you wear them?

If you're gonna leave a reply please dont leave out any juicy details (What style/colors you wear, what do you wear it with, When NOT to wear it, etc...

Depends on the environment in that you are living - I am in the academia, so wearing suits, mostly business suits looks like I am coming from an other planet, both for my students and for my co-workers (to be very frank, even when I am in a sport-jacket looks the same). On the other hand, it is a more versatile item in my wardrobe than the suit - you can pair it either with "citified" items - woolen pants, FC shirts, PS, business shoes, or with more sporty things - turtlenecks are a big favorite for me. What I am avoiding to wear is the chino-polo combination with drivers or what ever, but keep in mind that I am living in Europe, not in the US, so sartorial conventions are pretty different.
Roll call:
Dark navy cashmere blazer, silver buttons SB 3B (MTM)
Grey herringbone with multicolor neps - Zegna interpretation of Donnegal tweed (MTM)
Dark grey with very subtle brown and navy window pane (visible only in direct natural light) - cotton and cashmere, intended to be a summer sport-coat, it is perfect for the spring/fall season, due to cashmere's insulation; (MTM)
Camel/black/red guncheck - wool and cashmere (Bespoke)
Camel/olive with subtle blue windowpane tweed (OTR), not fitting very well, relegated to market and kid in the park duty;
Summer blazer - light navy hopsack - wool and silk, unlined (MTM).
In project, at least one 100% cashmere, bespoke
As I said before, I wear them with woolens - flannel or worsted, mostly dark grey or charcoal pants, linens in the summer, but also jeans or corduroys (I am working on finding good quality corduroy fabric at a good price).
Hope it helps you!

Prince

Reaction score
I wear a navy sportscoat at least once a week to the office. I need to get some new ones though, because I love sportscoats.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I rarely wear a blazer or sport coat, but when I do, it's usually in the summer. For summer, I have a linen db blazer, a linen unlined sportcoat, and a sb blazer. I'll often wear one of these on a Friday or for evening social events.

For winter, I have three cashmere sport coats and a RL wool knit sportcoat but I wear them maybe once or twice during the season, if at all. I like being in a suit, and have a couple of winter weights such as a Donegal that I usually wear for social and weekend occasions; thus, my winter sport coats almost never get worn.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear sport coats the most often, and suits rarely. If I order 5 pieces, it would probably be something like 4 sport coats and 1 suit.

ChicagoJohn

Reaction score
I love sport jackets but find the seasoning to wear them remarkably short. It seems there's only about a month in the fall where it's in the 40-50 degree area. After that it gets too cold and I don't like an overcoat on top of sport coats.

In the spring the season is a little longer, maybe 2-3 months. But I do not wear them at all in the summer. It's too hot and humid here.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
When I go out in the evening pretty much always (including summer: God used evolution to create mohair and linen for a reason), and during the day too when the weather is conducive to it.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I'd like to do so more if it was a little more accepted amongst those around me. Having the extra pockets to put stuff in is great since the shape of my legs makes my pockets bulge with keys/phone in them.

My roommate picked up a khaki cotton sport coat a little while back and has been wearing it like crazy...I am hoping that will condition people a little more towards the wearing of a wool blazer

If you buy a cord sportcoat it'll break them into you wearing sportcoats often.

Or you could just not give a ****, you'll take some flack for a while, but eventually they get used to it.

I have more people asking me WTF when i dress in a t-shirt and jeans then i do in a sportcoat and slacks....and i'm 24.

jsherman02

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I wear sport coats the most often, and suits rarely. If I order 5 pieces, it would probably be something like 4 sport coats and 1 suit.

+1.

I no longer need power suits. I also have alot more fun with my jackets/pants now.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Two or three times a week. I rarely need a suit.

yo!

Reaction score
As I am in no situation (or profession) to wear suits daily, I wear a sportscoat daily.

Very rarely will I not wear one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads