• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What should I do in Chicago?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Chorse, you still haven't PM'd me. I think you're seriously overlooking the option of taking me to Alinea.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bpc
Generally agree with the above. Two notes: (1) Ashkenaz on Cedar is a superior Jewish deli. (2) While New York bests Chicago re pizza, they both take a backseat to New Haven. Something similar can be found at Coalfire on Grand.

Piece on North in Wicker Park is pretty good, too.

NOLA1

Reaction score
coalfire's pizza kills piece. the hot calabrese and peppers is bomb.

Agnacious

Reaction score
1.) Pane Caldo on East Walton

2.) Avenues at the Peninsula

3.) Chicago pizza is crap

4.) Scores > VIPs

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
^^^ I live not too far from the Admiral if you want to slum it a bit.

If you want to not slum it, you can take me to Alinea instead of Chorse. I don't discriminate when it comes to people buying me dinner.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While in Chicago you have to visit Obama museum.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
^^^ I live not too far from the Admiral if you want to slum it a bit.

Actually I just moved from Chicago which is too bad because I am not unfamiliar with the Admiral.

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
If you want to not slum it, you can take me to Alinea instead of Chorse. I don't discriminate when it comes to people buying me dinner.

Chorse is probably PMing you as I write this, so though I missed my chance by a couple of weeks, I am sure Chorse will jump on the opportunity.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Chorse is probably PMing you as I write this, so though I missed my chance by a couple of weeks, I am sure Chorse will jump on the opportunity.

He never did. I feel certain that he was going to, until he saw the LOLKwilkies. That probably turned him away from the offer. It looks like Conne owes me that now.

Racove

Reaction score
I'd really second The Publican, Frontera Grill & Coal-Fire Pizza for good eats.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to say I received the Alinea cookbook recently, and this only reinforced the need for a return visit (note: I can barely afford my own meal there, so will also accept donations).

ltb

Reaction score
haven't seen hopleaf mentioned yet. it's a bit out of the way compared to a lot of the other recommendations (much farther north, while the others tend to be in the heart of the city). good food, lots of beers.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spatlese
Just wanted to say I received the Alinea cookbook recently, and this only reinforced the need for a return visit (note: I can barely afford my own meal there, so will also accept donations).

I really want to go there. I'm debating between asking for a Shun Elite or a meal at Alinea for Christmas. I know I get one, I just can't choose.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

goodlife

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ltb
haven't seen hopleaf mentioned yet. it's a bit out of the way compared to a lot of the other recommendations (much farther north, while the others tend to be in the heart of the city). good food, lots of beers.

+1

Also, if you want a quick lunch or snack in the loop, try Frontera Fresca on the seventh floor of Marshall Field's (er Macys). It's unique semi-fast food option. The tortilla soup, goat cheese and salsa verde tamalle, and limeades are the best. I was there today, and Rick Bayless was actually behind the counter. He wasn't plating orders, but he was tasting everything and looking over shoulders.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bpc
Generally agree with the above. Two notes: (1) Ashkenaz on Cedar is a superior Jewish deli. (

I felt sick after eating there, twice. Would not go back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads