• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this kind of shoe purchase wise?

basis

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-WALKERS-...QQcmdZViewItem The price can't be beat... $16 in the door, most likely. Can the creasing be fixed at all by a cobbler? Is this kind of thing worth it in general? I mean purchasing cheap stuff like this, having a bit of work done, and ending up with something nice. For shoes that have seen this much wear, how likely is it that the insoles will be uncomfortable due to being shaped by another's foot? I don't really know anything about this brand either, so if someone has something interesting to say there, I'm all ears. Thanks.

basis

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to post something totally irrelevant.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with your plan. However, I don't think I'd try to execute it on this pair of shoes. The leather appears to be corrected grain, which creases badly and offers no prospect of improvement. Find a undervalued pair of calf shoes and go to work. Its amazing what some shoe polish and some elbow grease can do for a beat up old pair of brogans.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by basis
Thank you for taking the time to post something totally irrelevant.
It isn't irrelevant. Buying slightly used shoes is fine, but not beaters worn by someone else. The shoe likely have conformed to the original owner's foot, for one thing. Unless you are totally strapped for cash and can't afford new shoes, the point is, your money, even $5, is better spent elsewhere.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with buying used shoes, but you could certainly do a lot better than those...

basis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
It isn't irrelevant. Buying slightly used shoes is fine, but not beaters worn by someone else. The shoe likely have conformed to the original owner's foot, for one thing. Unless you are totally strapped for cash and can't afford new shoes, the point is, your money, even $5, is better spent elsewhere.

Except that's not what he said. What YOU said is relevant.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by basis
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRITISH-WALKERS-...QQcmdZViewItem

The price can't be beat... $16 in the door, most likely. Can the creasing be fixed at all by a cobbler? Is this kind of thing worth it in general? I mean purchasing cheap stuff like this, having a bit of work done, and ending up with something nice.

For shoes that have seen this much wear, how likely is it that the insoles will be uncomfortable due to being shaped by another's foot?

I don't really know anything about this brand either, so if someone has something interesting to say there, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

I would pass on these. These are nothing more than $80 shoes when brand new, except now they are heavily worn, and they still have cheap leather. Comparable to JC Penney or Executive Imperials.

I don't think the creasing can be "fixed" - maybe minimized, but this looks like cheap corrected grain leather.

I agree that you probably shouldn't buy heavily used shoes, although that is a point a contention on this forum. I think it is better to have something brand new that will conform and break in to your foot.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I would pass on these. These are nothing more than $80 shoes when brand new, except now they are heavily worn, and they still have cheap leather. Comparable to JC Penney or Executive Imperials.

I don't think the creasing can be "fixed" - maybe minimized, but this looks like cheap corrected grain leather.

I agree that you probably shouldn't buy heavily used shoes, although that is a point a contention on this forum. I think it is better to have something brand new that will conform and break in to your foot.

+1

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
i wouldnt wear a pair of used shoes for free. I might not wear them at gun point.

So what do you do, buy a pair of shoes wear them once then threw them away?
eh.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy those but I have scored some good deals on used shoes....ebay and thrift.

I do try to stay away from those that have been worn hard though...they conform to your feet and somethings can't be undone. I had ok luck with a pair of AEs that had clearly been worn very little by someone with completely wrong size feet (some naaaasssty creasing but barely any sole wear). They were under $10 at a thrift and they cleaned up ok but the creasing is still pretty bad...I should throw some more conditioner on it and hope it gets better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads