• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcase Appreciation thread

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DSCN1091.jpg

It is time to see what age brings to a Glaser.

I've had this Glaser Designs flaptop for 10 years. Every academic needs a bag. It started out as the most gorgeous chestnut color. Over the years of use and abuse, neglect and love, the color evolved to a saddle brown. I suppose I should have rubbed out the superficial marks for you, but hey- its a working case and was too busy being used to get polished. It is heavy, sturdy, almost flamboyantly leather, and is a presence whether I'm carrying it or it is setting next to my desk. I'm certain this bag will outlive me.

Seeing Dob's brand new flaptop is like seeing a newborn.

The one detail I would change, and may still, is to change the key fob and strap and its placement. You can see it on the left in Dob's 5th image, just underneath the rivet that holds the bag strap hardware. The only other bag I use is a 25 year old black ballistic nylon Eddie Baur messenger. It is light, unobtrusive, flexible. Age brings nothing to ballistic nylon, alas, but the Bauer has a key fob and strap that is a masterpiece of human engineering. The Glaser fob and strap is well designed in the sense that I understand the choices, but functionally it doesn't perform as well as the Bauer. The key and strap get lost in the bag- very ungraceful for such a thoroughbred case.

I have to make a visit to the Glaser workshops in person, just to see them work on the leather.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gefinzi
Vintage, English.

worship.gif

I'd love to own a case like that!!!!

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy

It is time to see what age brings to a Glaser.

I've had this Glaser Designs flaptop for 10 years.

I have to make a visit to the Glaser workshops in person, just to see them work on the leather.

wow, that's aged nicely despite the abuse

visiting Glaser is a real treat so definitely stop by the next time you're in SF

yours looks like an heirloom movie prop for Indiana Jones - just beautiful

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: what do you guys use to polish up a bag and what method?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
I use a leather conditioner from Coach about twice a year. However, more often than not, my bag usually looks like the one in the post by james-timothy.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I polished my bag once and would recommend against it. It looks nice for about 5 mins then you will inevitably scuff it up again and it will look weird. Plus you'll have to deal with the build up from the polish which looks sloppy on a bag IMO.

I usually just apply leather conditioner and gently rub it in, this should take care of most the existing scuffs. Then give a good buff with a horsehair brush to bring out the lustre. Gives a nice glow without any polish build up.

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would Lexol and then a brushing work okay? I've got quite a few scratches similar to the Glaser pics above that I wouldn't mind cleaning up.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would Lexol and then a brushing work okay? I've got quite a few scratches similar to the Glaser pics above that I wouldn't mind cleaning up.

I think so. I'm always surpised how well this combo cleans up a pair of shoes. I'm not a huge fan of the mirror shine though.

Post pics if possible.

rilian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nate10184
I think so. I'm always surpised how well this combo cleans up a pair of shoes. I'm not a huge fan of the mirror shine though.

Post pics if possible.

Myron from Glaser recommends not using leather conditioner of any kind on their bags. He recommends using Nivea body lotion instead.

manouche

Reaction score
I watch at men in the subway and all have shoddy brief cases :

50% have a cloth laptop case
20% have an advertising floppy case
20% have a leather case with no shape looking like a pupile bag
10% have a decent leather case

I see no attachÃ
00a9.png
case.

Are people tasteless or poor ?

athletics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
I watch at men in the subway and all have shoddy brief cases :

50% have a cloth laptop case
20% have an advertising floppy case
20% have a leather case with no shape looking like a pupile bag
10% have a decent leather case

I see no attachÃ
00a9.png
case.

Are people tasteless or poor ?

This is a very good question. I was surprised to see nearly all the students at a semi-elite MBA school carrying the same generic laptop bag, during a recent visit. These guys must of had some serious school pride, because had the school insignia on it, was very generic and black canvas.

I think you can get a nice canvas bag and would prefer the looks of one over a cheap leather bag, just so you can say its made of leather.

I want to get a new briefcase/laptop bag, but also don't want to look feminine. Its not been an easy search.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads