• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
I just got a pair today. I'm a 12 in most shoes, an 11.5 in Alden Indy boot, an 11 in Chucks. I got the 11.5 D in the Katahdin and they fit great. Maybe a little narrow on the right foot (the bigger of the two) but not bad and should stretch out. They come in a wide width, but I'm afraid that might be too wide. The length is great though.

The quality of these boots really impressed me. I just got done returning three different pairs of Alden boots for poor quality. These are much more rustic, but the quality is very high and the leather is quite nice. The fact that you can get a US made, Goodyear welted boot for $150 is rather impressive these days.

Just for fun I've decided to add some pics of my new boots after one coat of Obenauf's.

dsc2123nf0.jpg

dsc2124az8.jpg

Those look great. My experience on size it they fit pretty true - 10E for me. I don't mind the width as I often wear with heavier socks. Tell me about the Obenauf's. Which product did you use?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use the Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP in the black tub. Good stuff, I treat most of my leather with it. It usually darkens the leather slightly, but not too much.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slide, those are pretty amazing boots. It's funny how you went up from your chucks size because I went down from mine - from 9.5 to 9D, but that may be because my feet are wide and flat. Everyone's feet are different I suppose. Still didn't need to go up to EE though, after about seven wearings I've gotten to the point where my feet look forward to getting them on!

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
LL Bean Katahdin Iron Works Engineer Boots

check the "streetwear shoes no sneakers" thread, someone posted a great-looking worn-in pair

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after seeing the reviews and pics, i think i will also have to purchase a pair of the katahdin as well. thanks slide!

cfedun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Those look great. My experience on size it they fit pretty true - 10E for me. I don't mind the width as I often wear with heavier socks. Tell me about the Obenauf's. Which product did you use?

Can someone please link me to a place online that I can buy those? Also, do they come in black?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
^ I meant to comment on those boots earlier. They look exactly like the Wings and Horns service boots (also made in Canada), just without the distressing. I'm curious on who makes them as well as I'd prefer those to the $800 versions.

You got it Robin, these are indeed very similar to the Wings + Horns leather service boot, minus the distressing. They are made by:
Originally Posted by nyf
Dayton?
The same folks that made the service boots for Wings + Horns.

I'm definitely considering getting a pair of the black ones, but am not sure if I can justify the price right now.

For me it's between these 2 boots: the black dayton's and the LL Bean Katahdin (which I've had my eye on for a while now). If it wasn't for the weak CAD dollar, and the fact that LL Bean charges 18% duty, plus shipping, etc. on orders to Canada, I'd probably go for the Katahdin, but they'd probably come out closer to $250 CAD after all fees and conversion. I can't decide between the two!!

Dayton's again:

Black, with rubber oil-resistant "anti-slip" sole:

img1537us1.jpg

and the Katahdin:

dsc2124az8.jpg

chiral

Reaction score
I figured I might as well repost my worn-in katahdins that I posted in the streetwear shoes thread.
_MG_0376.jpg

_MG_0378.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

I love these boots.

denimaddict

Reaction score
Korce, where online are you looking at the Daytons? Just curious because their website (if I have it right) kinda sucks.

wiru

Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
Dayton's again:

Thanks for finally sharing this information.

Do I have to wait another week for you to give us a model number or stocklist? I don't know what the point of this guessing game is.

korce

Reaction score
^ hahaha didn't mean to keep everyone waiting or guessing, it's just that I haven't decided whether to get a pair yet myself and from what I understand they're in quite limited stock of the models I posted. Wouldn't want to find out there are none left by the time I make up my mind.

I can tell you this though, because the boots are limited, you can't view them online (they're not on Dayton's website), and they're not in the dayton catalogue. I only found out about them because I contacted them regarding stockists of Dayton in Toronto, and was told there are none, and was asked if I was interested in a specific model. My interest in something similar to the Wings + Horns boot was professed, and the employee mentioned these boots, which she took some pictures of for me. She is now on vacation, so I have been unable to get information on their return policy in case the boots don't work out for me. I contacted another employee at Dayton but haven't heard anything back yet. So...I'm waiting for answers to a couple questions before I purchase the boots basically.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads