• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inauguration Plans?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you in the DC Metro Area, and all the others who are coming to DC for the Obama Inauguration, what are your plans for the 19th and 20th?

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoeWoah
For those of you in the DC Metro Area, and all the others who are coming to DC for the Obama Inauguration, what are your plans for the 19th and 20th?

Avoiding the Metro area.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If people are really getting hundreds of dollars to rent out their apartments in Silver Spring, I'm going to NY for a few days.

If anyone wants a 1-br apartment (+den!) walkable to Metro, I'll gladly give it up for, say, $400/night. I'll even leave mints on the pillows. Maybe I'll even wash the sheets.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard on CNN that some guy in Silver Spring is getting $200 per night renting out his backyard for people to pitch tents in.

My plans were to go to Inauguration, but standing in the cold for about 7 hours, more or less, just doesn't interest me. So, I'm thinking about walking to the Blue Marlin for drinks with some friends while we watch.

Then nap. (Shots every time he says change will do us in).

Then the Pennsylvania Inaugural Gala at the Ritz later in the evening.

I have tickets to the South Carolina Ball on the 19th too at Air and Space too, but I'm iffy if I'm going to go. There is a union ball and the Illinois Ball then too.

Personally, I think these things are fun. The 4-million people clusterfuck, not so much.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
+1000

I really don't think there will be that many people here. LBJ had the biggest crowd at 1.2 million, so I say 2 million TOPS. That's bad, but they'll be gone by late afternoon. 6-10 hours in the freezing cold will see to that!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My parents are considering renting their place too. I havent really considered my plans but I guess I have to. I'll probably make last minute plans to head somewhere since it will be a long weekend.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd really like to see it, but I'll probably just be working. Unless the commute through DC becomes impossible.

jqbomb

Reaction score
If the estimate of 3mil visitors holds true, I don't wanna be in town. I've listed my place in Arlington a few times on CL but haven't gotten any bites. I've asked $750/night for my 1br, with parking, 1/2 a block from the metro in Arlington.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jqbomb
If the estimate of 3mil visitors holds true, I don't wanna be in town. I've listed my place in Arlington a few times on CL but haven't gotten any bites. I've asked $750/night for my 1br, with parking, 1/2 a block from the metro in Arlington.

I'm suprised. Try listing it on other cities CL's.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live across the street from the Silver Spring metro -- so I'll head down with picnic, flasks, & thermos in my backpack around 7am... and then I plan to walk back up 16th Street to get home, under the assumption that everyone will clog the metro platforms 20+ deep for hours at a time. Comfy boots, 7 miles, no big deal.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, since I wrote that, they've decided to ban carrying a thermos or a backpack on the grounds of the mall. ugh. I may have to default to a flask full of bourbon and some chemical handwarmers.
confused.gif

migo

Reaction score
I'm attending an inaugural ball (Black tie!) and that's about it. A friend of mine is renting out her town house for a week, I think, getting $10k or something ridiculous. Not bad for a week!

Lucky7

Reaction score
I wont be watching...I'll be pretending this j off isn't really getting elected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads