• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestry of a slob

Lear

Reaction score
Forgiveness is begged for starting two photograph laden threads in the same day. I could have put them all into a single thread. But these are from a completely different era altogether. My grandfather (side of my mother) is the one in the middle (first 2 shots), carrying a briefcase and wearing the spats (is that the correct shoe description?). He was short even by the standards of those days. Didn't get married until he was close to fifty! Luckily, my father was very tall. The third shot shows him front, forth from right. The briefcase is now in my possession. I've recently had new straps and handle put onto it. It a fab piece of leather
smile.gif
I 'll try to add some shots of how it looks today.
out0274.png
out0276.png
out0275.png

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Great pics.

I don't think those are spats. Note the wing tips. Spats are not shaped like that. I think those are spectator shoes.

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pan American World Airways... wow.. very nice. Flying used to be something folks got dressed up for.

Lear

Reaction score
OK, here are pics of the very same briefcase seen in the first two photographs. New handles and straps, plus lots of love and conditioner.
dscf0091.jpg
dscf0094.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did people still wear spats in the '40s and '50s as I assume when these photos were taken?

I would imagine it would have been quite the Old Guard who still wore spats at that time. Spats were kind of like the monocle--somehow they never quite die out and everybody still knows what you are referring to when you mention the two items, even today.

Lear

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Did people still wear spats in the '40s and '50s as I assume when these photos were taken? I would imagine it would have been quite the Old Guard who still wore spats at that time. Spats were kind of like the monocle--somehow they never quite die out and everybody still knows what you are referring to when you mention the two items, even today.
On the reverse of the photograph (many lined up in front of plane) it states that the flight is on January 21, 1958. The other two photographs must have been from around the same period. According to Manton, they are spectator shoes. It would take someone like Manton or Sator to put you right on dates and the fashions of the time.
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Nice bag!!!
Thanks. It has a look, feel and smell that simply cannot be replicated in any other way. But the nicest thing is that it belonged to my grandfather, and is therefore priceless to me
smile.gif

Lear

Reaction score
I've been able to go a generation further back from the ones shown above. These are my great grandparents (side of my mother). Not sure of the exact date that it was taken.

It's a scanned, faint copy of the original. I'm afraid I don't know how to sharpen it on the computer.

Just thought the clothing from another age might be of interest.

out0278.png

Or the sharper image (thanks to B. F. Socaspi at The London Lounge)

ezr7h4.png

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I would imagine it would have been quite the Old Guard who still wore spats at that time. Spats were kind of like the monocle--somehow they never quite die out and everybody still knows what you are referring to when you mention the two items, even today.

Totally off topic, but I think you may appreciate this pic.

9vidu0.jpg

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never heard of Jimmy Walker until now.

180px-James_Walker_NYWTS.jpg

Lear

Reaction score
Cross-posted: The Fedora Lounge Another photograph from years gone by. My grandfather is the short guy, far left. Funny thing, he had 2 brothers who were both over six foot, which for those days was tall. What he lacked in height, he made up for with a fearsome reputation. A bit dark, I know. I'm just hopeless with the computer. Wouldn't know how to get the black shoes showing clearly. Lear
cp.png

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the briefcase! Love that you have some family history that comes with it! It is funny because I am looking at these pictures and feel like I should have lived during those times or even a bit earlier. (i was born in 1988
smile.gif
) I enjoy looking at your pictures

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads