• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Navy + Black = No match?

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
heres the situation: I am considering wearing a Navy v-neck sweater (dark dark navy, not quite midnight but quite dark), some black trousers and black cap toe park avenues on thanksgiving. i'm going to three or four seperate houses and i'd like to look nice.

she is giving me talk about how navy and black don't go together. i've never heard of this before, and i know its ridiculous and i didn't even want to post a topic about it but she dared me so here i am.

what do you guys think? am i an idiot for even listening to a womans advice on mens clothing?

PS: all i gots is the park avenues, so no brown shoes. i'd prefer brown shoes w this outfit.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like you got dressed in the dark.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They can go together (i.e. the business classic that is the navy suit and black shoes), but your outfit does not sound like it works. Grey trousers are preferable in this scenario.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you don't think a navy sweater and black trousers work? lol. ignore shoes.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is a lot of food for one day. I'd wear a pumpkin orange sweater and turkey gravy colored trousers. That way if you spill sweet mash or turkey on your ensemble you'll still look presentable.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjakapeanut
Navy sweater, charcoal trousers, and black shoes could work though. But I would like to wear brown shoes unless it was business/work related ( and would still prefer brown then as well) Wouldn't want to wear black pants ever personally.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You called down the thunder, well now you've got it.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'mmmmm not quite following you.

Navy is too close to black...it could look like you were trying to get dressed without turning on the lights, and you thought everything was the same color.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awww. Yeah the navys not that dark. Hard to not see the difference even from across a dimly lit room with the trousers in question.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that brown shoes are preferrable, I'd borrow a buddys pair if I decide to wear this outfit. I also would love to have a nice pair of charcoal gray trousers for this outfit. My big problem though was if there were any sort of silly rule that says navy and black (blue and black basically) can't go together. I think the answer is obvious. It can work.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
heres the situation: I am considering wearing a Navy v-neck sweater (dark dark navy, not quite midnight but quite dark), some black trousers and black cap toe park avenues on thanksgiving. i'm going to three or four seperate houses and i'd like to look nice.

she is giving me talk about how navy and black don't go together. i've never heard of this before, and i know its ridiculous and i didn't even want to post a topic about it but she dared me so here i am.

what do you guys think? am i an idiot for even listening to a womans advice on mens clothing?

PS: all i gots is the park avenues, so no brown shoes. i'd prefer brown shoes w this outfit.

I have heard people say that navy doesnt go with black but to my mind it certainly can. In my opinion dark navy goes least well so you might want to listen to your better half.

Another thing about a black/navy combination is I think it goes better if there is a lot of navy and not much black - say navy suit with black tie and shoes. Having your top half navy and your bottom half black might be a little visually unsettling.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
probably exaggerated. its not super dark. its a merino wool navy sweater, like the ones from express or gap or jcrew. its not midnight.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

While on very rare occasions navy and black works (maomao had a good example a while back, navy suits with black shoes are sort of ok), in general I would say no. Navy sweater + black trousers sound very mall security to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 38.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 29 18.5%

Forum statistics

Threads