• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Collar with built-in collar bar-like strap

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was watching the film Eros, during the Wong Kar Wai-directed segment The Hand, when I noticed that Zhang, the protoganist, wears a collar that has a strap hanging from each end of the collar, as seen below:

3039687685_0cce00a00f_o.png

What is its function? My guess is that it has a similar effect as a collar bar.

Below is another shot from a different scene. It is not clear whether it's the same shirt.

3040526916_99b43b783b_o.png

What do you think of this feature? Was it popular in the past? I have never seen it before.

By the way, I have not watched the other two segments of the film yet but The Hand is magnificent. Similar stylistically to In The Mood For Love. The cinematography by Christopher Doyle, especially the compositions, is simply among the best I have ever seen.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a tab collar. Was more popular in the past, though some think its just now starting to make a tiny come-back. Perhaps because they look neato with a 3 piece or DB. Brooks RTW used to sell them, but they are MTM only at Brooks now. I think you can get them RTW from Lands End. I've seen a few contrast-collar Brooks models too.

Donald Rumsfeld, Neil Cavuto, and Elliot Spitzer have worn them for a while. Though Spitzers look particularly cheapo. Can't think of anyone else in the public eye that does.

rumsfeld_resigns.jpg

Throwsuphands.jpg

17022_logo.jpg

eliot_spitzer.jpg

spitzer2_wideweb__470x318,0.jpg

http://www.landsend.com/ix/mens-clot...eSize=12&tab=1

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen two types of tab collars in particular one with the metal fastening as pictured above, and one with just fabric and button, which IMO is the more elegant choice
cs-tabcollar.jpg

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, the metal is probably a snap button which is easier, but a conventional button would be more elegant.

I'm not really sure the tab collar is very attractive as the tab, when seen from the side, looks rather cheap. And why not just wear a collar bar?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the tab collar is a rather formal look. not to be worn open without a tie. otr should not be.

Fred Pressman of Barneys always wore his shirt open with the tie bar just hanging from one side.

Absolute Beginner

Reaction score
Funny. I was watching 2046 (another Wong Kar Wai film) this past weekend. I noticed that the protagonist had a thing for tab-collars as well.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe you should buy some old tab collars.

Welcome back to the age of jive.

aragon765

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Maybe you should buy some old tab collars.

Welcome back to the age of jive.

Yes... Billy Joel ftw...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads