• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Style suggestions

csice

Reaction score
I have been trying very hard to update my clothing to resemble a more adult/fashionable look, but I am finding it rather difficult. I have been going to the Web site revolveclothing.com but it is usually way too expensive. Anyways, for now I only have three questions:

First, what are some Web sites I can use like the one above, but preferably less expensive, that are very fashion-forward that can help me build up my wardrobe?

Second, what are some Web sites that I can use to get some fashion ideas since I am pretty clueless in this department.

Lastly, what are some particular brands that are fairly priced (perhaps around or under $100 for most items)? The only things I can think of are brands like Hugo Boss, Armani Exchange, etc. (All far too expensive) Thank you for any help you can give.

...Ya, I have ADD, there are some links right in the forum, but anything else you guys can give is very much appreciated. Until I can find some good ideas and places to buy these clothes, I am stuck wearing high school crap like Hollister...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget "very fashion-forward"

Get something stylish that will last.

csice

Reaction score
True. I can find a lot of stuff on the aforementioned Web site that I like, or from places like Burberry, but they are just a wee bit expensive. Actually way too expensive. I mean I don't expect to pay five dollars for a sweater and a button up shirt, but once an individual piece of clothing exceeds one hundred, it has to be something I really like.

Any answers to the three admittedly similar yet different questions?

I guess I should say I am looking for more of a casual look. I want it to be a somewhat formal casual if that makes any sense. I like button up shirts and sweaters/cardigans to go over button up shirts, all jeans, some simple zip up hoodies that are stylish without looking too trendy/childish.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by csice
True. I can find a lot of stuff on the aforementioned Web site that I like, or from places like Burberry, but they are just a wee bit expensive. Actually way too expensive. I mean I don't expect to pay five dollars for a sweater and a button up shirt, but once an individual piece of clothing exceeds one hundred, it has to be something I really like.

Any answers to the three admittedly similar yet different questions?

I guess I should say I am looking for more of a casual look. I want it to be a somewhat formal casual if that makes any sense. I like button up shirts and sweaters/cardigans to go over button up shirts, all jeans, some simple zip up hoodies that are stylish without looking too trendy/childish.

Here are my two cents:

- First check the situation you will live in (e.g. working in financial business, or being apprentice at _____). Then decide which clothes you need.

- Forget all brands and buy only clothes which fits you and your wardrobe 100% (do not buy branded bargains).

- Buy at your local retailer.

- read SF!!!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not providing enough background, such as location and lifestyle. Maybe J. Crew would be good enough for most of the items, excluding denim. Or maybe Ralph Lauren. There is a long list of mostly inexpensive retailers on the website below.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Spend time looking at the WAYWN thread for ideas, then shop accordingly.

malefic

Reaction score
I have been trying very hard to update my clothing to resemble a more adult/fashionable look, but I am finding it rather difficult. I have been going to the Web site revolveclothing.com but it is usually way too expensive. Anyways, for now I only have three questions: First, what are some Web sites I can use like the one above, but preferably less expensive, that are very fashion-forward that can help me build up my wardrobe? Second, what are some Web sites that I can use to get some fashion ideas since I am pretty clueless in this department. Lastly, what are some particular brands that are fairly priced (perhaps around or under $100 for most items)? The only things I can think of are brands like Hugo Boss, Armani Exchange, etc. (All far too expensive) Thank you for any help you can give. ...Ya, I have ADD, there are some links right in the forum, but anything else you guys can give is very much appreciated. Until I can find some good ideas and places to buy these clothes, I am stuck wearing high school crap like Hollister...
True. I can find a lot of stuff on the aforementioned Web site that I like, or from places like Burberry, but they are just a wee bit expensive. Actually way too expensive. I mean I don't expect to pay five dollars for a sweater and a button up shirt, but once an individual piece of clothing exceeds one hundred, it has to be something I really like. Any answers to the three admittedly similar yet different questions? I guess I should say I am looking for more of a casual look. I want it to be a somewhat formal casual if that makes any sense. I like button up shirts and sweaters/cardigans to go over button up shirts, all jeans, some simple zip up hoodies that are stylish without looking too trendy/childish.
For what it's worth, Revolve almost always has active discount codes that will save you at least 10% of the total order: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/revolveclothing.com maintains a pretty up-to-date list (N.B. discount codes are NOT stackable) I'm not really sure how to address the rest of your post because I find Revolve carries incredibly affordable brands alongside the mid-range stuff. Right now their sale section has 19 different t-shirts for $20 or less! Since you're clearly not looking for suits and so on, the other half of StyleForum will probably be at least as helpful as this section ("Men's Clothing"). If you deal-hunt and avoid tacky branding it's pretty easy to end up with a broad and versatile wardrobe that should last a reasonable amount of time. Forget Armani Exchange and Hugo Boss, they're overpriced crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads