• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is ebay the worst web company?

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was using ebay today and it occurred to me that it has to be the worst major web company out there. My thoughts:

1. The recent redesign is terrible. They had a perfectly functional user interface before and tried to modernize it with "web 2.0" type quirks. Now half of my old saved searches don't work and any new search format somehow misses a lot of auctions. Also if you change one field of the search it takes you back to square one instead of incorporating that new field into the current results.

2. I generally don't pay much attention to the recommendations ebay gives me but when I do I always note how poor they are. Why would you recommend me a shoe in size 7 if I'm looking at a size 12 and always search for size 12. Same goes for suits in different sizes than the ones you're looking at. I also notice that the recommendations on the main page are always obscure. I look at dress clothing items probably 95% of the time yet I still get bombarded with recommendations for sneakers that I searched for once maybe 6 months ago.

3. They've raised fees considerably and basically screwed over small sellers (or so it appears from reading seller's comments here). Given the current economic conditions ebay is theoretically positioned to kill in this market. People are going to be liquidating the shopping extravaganza they've been on over the last 5 years and ebay would be a great place to do so. Instead they're focusing on power sellers who peddle mostly new items.

Surprise surprise that they're recent earnings have been abysmal. Of course it's the economy's fault not theirs.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know if ebay is the absolute worst web company, but I too am at a loss to understand their strategy at this point. I used to love ebay, and now it's not even a love-hate relationship....

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, ebay is the worst web company I've ever used; I'm sure there are worse ones out there, but I've never seen them. It's really amazing to me how they've been able to stranglehold the market for this long with such a ****** product and non-existent customer service for sellers and buyers alike.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I nominate Amazon as the best.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ebay was better when it was smaller. It didn't have the market power to squeeze the sellers like it does now. I'm looking forward to the day when Google creates a competitor to eBay. There will be a massive exodus from that wretched place.

nate10184

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

I think if any company can claim a recession proof model it has to be ebay. They basically eliminate the main inefficiency of flea markets, garage sales, etc. by connecting buyers and sellers from different geographic locations. Theoretically it works going up, down, and sideways.

I always think Google is best from a user standpoint. Any time I find a flaw or inefficiency in their user interface its usually corrected pretty quickly. Their tools make difficult tasks look simple (probably why they don't get as much credit as they should). For example you can throw just about any garbage at Google Maps and it will find the address you're looking for, try that with Microsoft or Mapquest and you'll be
baldy[1].gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
ebay was better when it was smaller. It didn't have the market power to squeeze the sellers like it does now. I'm looking forward to the day when Google creates a competitor to eBay. There will be a massive exodus from that wretched place.

I've been on ebay since early 2000 and have been hating it and WAITING for an alternative for years. WHEN will Google create it? I'm waiting for the exodus... waiting... waiting...
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles

OMG +1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1!!!!!! I
inlove.gif
Amazon. More even than B&M stores.

Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

This too I agree with.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha...I'm in the, what, 3% of the population that's not registered, and these comments do nothing to change my mind. So I'll too wait for the competitive option. In the meantime, I just need to continue to buy my stuff straight from y'all. Big fan of Amazon though.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very little seller protection now. i am done with ebay.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
very little seller protection now. i am done with ebay.
It is so awful. I absolutely hate the new layout too.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i just sold a pair of size 13 lobbs to a guy who opened a dispute because they are a "small" 13. i even sent him measurements. i will win i think but who needs the hassle to take a loss anyway?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics