• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with tongue pad for boots (keeping them in place)

StylingUK

Reaction score
I have read alot about how tongue pads can help prevent feet slipping from the heel and I would like to get a couple. But I am wondering whether it would work for chelsea boots as well? I'm concerned that if I stick the tongue pad in the underside of my boot, my feet would just push the tongue pad out of place when I pull on the boot. (I have tried heel pad and my feet just push the pad out of the way when putting on the boot)

I can't find any tongue pads at my local shoe store and need to order online so I would like to make sure I am getting the right fix for boot heel slippage. Thanks!!

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about an insole to take up the extra volume?

StylingUK

Reaction score
I tried an insole but with that in the boot, it causes my toes to hurt.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StylingUK

I can't find any tongue pads at my local shoe store and need to order online so I would like to make sure I am getting the right fix for boot heel slippage. Thanks!!

They seem to be unavailable and unknown in the UK. You could buy some from the US on Ebay but they are in any case only bits of sticky polyester 'felt' which have been shaped.

Tongue pads are a very effective way of preventing slippage - much better than insoles of heel grips - but how they would work in your Chelseas I hesitate to say. You could try simulating the experience before sticking anything in with a bit of felt or material.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
They seem to be unavailable and unknown in the UK. You could buy some from the US on Ebay but they are in any case only bits of sticky pad polyester 'felt' which have been shaped. Tongue pads are a very effective way of preventing slippage - much better than insoles of heel grips, but how they would work in your Chelseas I hesitate to say. You could try simulating the experience before sticking anything in with a bit of felt or material.
When I asked for tongue pad in the UK, the salesperson usually have a puzzled look and ask, "the what?". I found a few places to get them from the US, but it'll take over a week to arrive. I tried physically sliding a heel pad into where the tongue pad would be placed and it worked very well. So hopefully others who have experience using a tongue pad on chelsea boots can let me know the results or other fix they use to prevent heel slippage other than an insole or heel pad.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Percy Trimmer
It sounds like you have your answer. Put a bit of sticky-backed felt in there.

What I am concerned with is the tongue pad sliding out of place everytime I pull on the boots. I have tried ankle pad already and it didn't work...when I put my foot into the boot, my feet would knock the ankle pad off. So I'm hoping people would know whether the same thing would happen for a tongue pad in the chelsea boot.

Percy Trimmer

Reaction score
What I am concerned with is the tongue pad sliding out of place everytime I pull on the boots. I have tried ankle pad already and it didn't work...when I put my foot into the boot, my feet would knock the ankle pad off. So I'm hoping people would know whether the same thing would happen for a tongue pad in the chelsea boot.

I have tongue pads in several of my slip-on shoes (though admittedly not my Chelseas). The adhesive is stong enough to keep them in place. As I said they are simply shaped pieces of sticky backed 'felt'. You can easily make your own from a sheet of the same. In fact they would probably be better as you get the exact shape required.

StylingUK

Reaction score
Thanks you for your comments. I have finally figured out why there is heel slippage. The stitching have come loose in the elastic part of the chelsea boots. I probably shouldn't have done this but I just super glued the elastic back to the leather and now there is no heel slipping anymore. But I also bought tongue pads as well from here. They are so cheap ($.35 for one) and cheap shipping as well. I don't know if its safe or not but I guess I'll find out when I get them.

why4009

Reaction score
Thanks you for your comments. I have finally figured out why there is heel slippage. The stitching have come loose in the elastic part of the chelsea boots. I probably shouldn't have done this but I just super glued the elastic back to the leather and now there is no heel slipping anymore.

But I also bought tongue pads as well from here. They are so cheap ($.35 for one) and cheap shipping as well. I don't know if its safe or not but I guess I'll find out when I get them.

I got just my tongue pads from feetrelief also. Arrived a few days after I ordered them. So if you are worried if it is a legit company or not, it is. I live the US. might take a bit longer for the UK.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads