• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever use tom fords mtm program?

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You can get a Tom Ford-esque suit from a Savile Row tailor.

Edward Sexton could possibly deliver the Tom Ford ideal better than Ford himself could. Sexton has immense personal style, and I can see Ford studying him and Tommy Nutter for inspiration.

Asking Huntsman, Poole or one of the traditional houses to do a Tom Ford sounds like an unmitigated disaster to me though. In fact, Ford has said publicly that the Savile Row firms he was using for his own clothes could not deliver what he wanted, and thus began his current venture because of that.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
If someone wants to wear Tom Ford-ness in all its unidentified, undefined glory, I suppose the only way to do that is to buy the Tom Ford brand. But if someone likes the look, it makes perfect sense to stop and wonder what he likes about it and whether it can be better attained elsewhere.

This is so wonderfully myopic.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
In fact, Ford has said publicly that the Savile Row firms he was using for his own clothes could not deliver what he wanted, and thus began his current venture because of that.

"Yes We Can!"

Of course Tom Ford is going to say that.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is so wonderfully myopic.

Do tell how so.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Word. But if the OP works on Wallstreet as was stated then why in the world would you want this type of suit? Maybe a Russian mobster, fashion photographer, interior designer, etc. but Wallstreet it is not. Im thinking the OP's liking to TF comes from the new Bond flick and the suits in that movie look different then TF's main line and ad's that i've seen.

I visited TF's store in May of last year (before I knew of the Bond flick) I liked some of the items.

I've been looking for a new suit for business & pleasure (yes i work on wall street)

While most of Ford's ads are too over-the-top for work, I think many of his items in his store aren't that flashy.

You are right, when I saw the Bond movie I really liked the suits on Daniel Craig. I am 6'2" about 195lbs, lean, in my late 20s and I think that type of style suit would fit me pretty well

Look at this suit from Men's Vogue (pic is small but if you have the mag its a full page):
daniel-craig-225B.jpg

This is a fantastic charcoal gray pinstripe suit with no belt loops, (i assume side tabs?) strong shoulders, nipped waist.. very fitted look but its still modern and appropriately conservative. (not flashy like the ads)

this is a TF suit

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do tell how so.

To start, rather than get the suit the guy wants right from the source, you devise some complicated analysis process in order to make a copy using another tailor. The reasoning stems from your view that there is one and only one proper way to have a suit made even though that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another tom ford suit featured in men's vogue (again, not as flamboyant as some of his ads)

Men%27s%20Vogue%20November%202008%20%20Daniel%20Craig.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Yes We Can!"

Of course Tom Ford is going to say that.

Of course the bureaucrats on Savile Row will say they can make you anything under the sun for a price regardless of whether they can or not.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
I visited TF's store in May of last year (before I knew of the Bond flick) I liked some of the items.

You are right, when I saw the Bond movie I really liked the suits on Daniel Craig. I am 6'2" about 195lbs, lean, in my late 20s and I think that type of style suit would fit me pretty well

They have a number of sample suits to try on at that store. In my experience you might need to drop a $10k bundle of Ben Frankins on the receptionists desk to get any service though. I was not impressed with the service.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To start, rather than get the suit the guy wants right from the source, you devise some complicated analysis process in order to make a copy using another tailor. The reasoning stems from your view that there is one and only one proper way to have a suit made even though that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

No, my reasoning stems from the fact that nobody here has defined the Tom Ford look to be anything more than a set of styling cues; these cues were not invented by Tom Ford and can easily be incorporated by someone else.

If your point-of-view rests on the assumption that Tom Ford's look is composed of parts that are original to Tom Ford and cannot be replicated, the burden rests on you to show that such is the case. Otherwise, you've assumed yourself right in the first place.

EuropeanInterloper Redux

Reaction score
I haven't the patience to read through this entire thread, but having been through the Tom Ford process at the Madison ave. store, and having done a great deal of requisite leg-work first in attempting to find another way of having a Tom Ford-esque suit made, I can say the following:

1. Yes, by all means critique the Tom Ford style. It is not for everyone. The shoulders are roped, the waist is very suppressed, the cut is extremely angular and fitted, the lapels can be used for power skiing. If you are heavy in any way, I would not recommend it. This is not a magic cut that will transform your Joe beer-gut into Daniel Craig. However, if you are of average proportions, have the money, and like the cut- go for it. It took several fittings but in the end, the suit was exactly what I wanted, and could not have been replicated anywhere.

2. As to my last point- this suit could not have been made anywhere at this price point. Yes, by all means, talk to me about Zegna, who effectively makes the suit but will not give you a Tom Ford model regardless of what you pay them, or Savile Row, who can give you something approximating Tom Ford, as seen through a Savile Row lense, and for largely the same price (arguably it may be better fitted or better made, being true bespoke, but you won't easily find the same fabrics or get the exact same cut without giving them a suit to reverse-engineer).

3. All this argument about whether or not TF cuts are good and bad- quite honestly, extremely unhelpful. Go and start another thread if you want to critique Ford's take on a modern silhouette, I'm sure there's already one there for you. This is not a thread about taste, but rather one in which taste has already been established. We're supposed to be helping this gentleman locate alternatives to paying Tom Ford, and many on here aren't being very helpful at all.

4. The people at the Ford store are gracious, and they do a solid job when it comes to altering the suit when it comes in from the factory. Is it worth the extra thousands? No, I don't think so, but neither do I think that you're buying a Ford suit in order to sit around upstairs, look at the Bonsai trees, and drink scotch.

Thus, I conclude, if you want a Tom Ford suit, get a Tom Ford suit. There are no other alternatives. If you want something that is somewhat LIKE a Tom Ford suit, for less money, you could try cheap bespoke, but Savile Row won't get you a suit for $5,000 (last I checked), and less expensive bespoke will only get you an approximation of a Ford suit.

EI

P.S.: Mff-- Tom Ford has a way of constructing his suits so that everything gels correctly and looks like a Tom Ford suit. Rubinacci has the same, as do AS, Kilgour, Gieves and Hawkes, etcetera. Whether the intricate means by which TF constructs his suits to look like a TF suit are more or less advanced than any of these bespoke makers is an argument for people that make suits. For the purposes of this thread, I would wager that unless I brought a TF suit to one of these makers for them to reconstruct, they would not be able to construct a TF suit on the first go-round. Any further comment should be reserved for those with actual tailoring background.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally, I was wondering if anyone here has ever used Tom Ford's MTM program. I understand Zegna constructs the suit in their factory but was wondering how the finish product came, how TF's service is at the store on Madison (i've been but never upstairs where they do MTM), what the fabric selection is, how they liked the end product, turnaround time, etc etc

another great suit:
26580.jpg

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, my reasoning stems from the fact that nobody here has defined the Tom Ford look to be anything more than a set of styling cues; these cues were not invented by Tom Ford and can easily be incorporated by someone else.

If your point-of-view rests on the assumption that Tom Ford's look is composed of parts that are original to Tom Ford and cannot be replicated, the burden rests on you to show that such is the case. Otherwise, you've assumed yourself right in the first place.

You did not respond to my point at all, which was if one likes the offering of vendor A then why **** around with vendors B, C, D, etc in order to replicate A? It makes no sense. I might not even completely disagree that Tom Ford is just slight tweaks on a historical style, but that is not really the point I'm making.

That second paragraph is the most miserable bit of lawyer bullshit I have run across in some time.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have a number of sample suits to try on at that store. In my experience you might need to drop a $10k bundle of Ben Frankins on the receptionists desk to get any service though. I was not impressed with the service.

yeah you have to pull a richard gere, and say hey you.. i'm going to spend an obsene amt of money, i need some service pronto. lol

sometimes those people only respect u too if you come across a certain way

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EuropeanInterloper Redux
It took several fittings but in the end, the suit was exactly what I wanted, and could not have been replicated anywhere.

Thus, I conclude, if you want a Tom Ford suit, get a Tom Ford suit.

EI

Look, if you are going to come here and talk from experience and advocate getting exactly what you, the buyer, wants and actually being happy with it, well, you are on the wrong damn forum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads