• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone ever use tom fords mtm program?

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the cut of this suit

MV5BMTI0NzkwOTU0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What 'design' does Tom Ford put into his suits? Wide lapels, roped 'pagoda' shoulders, and severe waist supression aren't exactly voodoo. None of those things will confuse a competent bespoke tailor.

Anyway, Tom Ford is the only person I've seen that looks halfway decent in a Tom Ford suit. Take a look at Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace. The ridiculously convex shoulder line, stiff shape, and too-high buttoning point make it look he's always dangling from an invisible coat hanger.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AvariceBespoke
MV5BMTI0NzkwOTU0M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTc.jpg

Case in point. Plus, the jacket collar is obviously too loose.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
What 'design' does Tom Ford put into his suits? Wide lapels, roped 'pagoda' shoulders, and severe waist supression aren't exactly voodoo. None of those things will confuse a competent bespoke tailor.

Anyway, Tom Ford is the only person I've seen that looks halfway decent in a Tom Ford suit. Take a look at Daniel Craig in Quantum of Solace. The ridiculously convex shoulder line, stiff shape, and too-high buttoning point make it look he's always dangling from an invisible coat hanger.

i thought the suits looked great.. i guess i am foolish?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

I'm not big TF fan but since you're that good with don't you become a designer? Along the way you can do the same thing for music, as some of what I listen to is just playing on a computer and maybe revolutionize painting as Pollock just dripped paint on a canvas.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
While I don't disagree with you, you will neither get a vintage suit nor a suit from one of those other guys to look like a Tom Ford suit. Obviously the OP has his reasons for wanting the look, it's not my style either but I also wouldn't spend any money getting a Logsdale or Shattuck suit as neither of those are my style. Different strokes and all that other stuff.

Ed, if it makes you happy then throw Rubinacci in there as well. I suppose you could throw most of the famed Saville row tailors in too. And yes i understand that the OP is looking for that particular style. Like i said its his money not mine. If hes got that kind of cake to throw around on Tom Ford and it makes him happy then im happy for him.

Originally Posted by vitaminc
Bespoke means you are the designer. MTM means Tom Ford is the designer. Guess who designs better?

Well, to answer your question. If i was going bespoke it would be the tailors particular style not mine. Just my preferences in mind. And looking at some of these pictures im not sure Tom Ford would be the better. Maybe his suits are cut a different way for the Bond movie? If thats the case which i think it is then the OP would not be getting this style. Just a regular line Tom Ford suit with the huge lapels, extremely suppressed waist, Cinder block shoulders, tight as hell pants.

tomfordblah.jpg

tomfordblah2.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
I'm not big TF fan but since you're that good with don't you become a designer? Along the way you can do the same thing for music, as some of what I listen to is just playing on a computer and maybe revolutionize painting as Pollock just dripped paint on a canvas.

I'd be perfectly happy to hear what makes the features of a Tom Ford suit amount to 'design' in any meaningful sense. So far, all I hear is that people really like the look, which consists of certain details that aren't proprietary or unique to Tom Ford in the first place.

The merit of Pollack's art had to be justifiable, either by himself or by his advocates. If his work just 'looked nice', it wouldn't be 'art' to begin with--at least, not in a way that would give the word any significance.

Anyway, the cases of Ford and Pollack aren't analogous. Ford 'designs'. Pollack did 'art'. One must account for a physical function (i.e. being worn by a human being), one doesn't have any physical function at all.

AvariceBespoke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be perfectly happy to hear what makes the features of a Tom Ford suit amount to 'design' in any meaningful sense. So far, all I hear is that people really like the look, which consists of certain details that aren't proprietary or unique to Tom Ford in the first place.

The merit of Pollack's art had to be justifiable, either by himself or by his advocates. If his work just 'looked nice', it wouldn't be 'art' to begin with--at least, not in a way that would give the word any significance.

Anyway, the cases of Ford and Pollack aren't analogous. Ford 'designs'. Pollack did 'art'. One must account for a physical function (i.e. being worn by a human being), one doesn't have any physical function at all.

You clearly are very educated on the subject of menswear - you have read some things I'm looking for - what do you recommend I pursue?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Clothing design doesn't use proprietary features to attain an interesting whole so I have no idea what you're talking about. Going to a tailor and having him copy the TF style is an implicit recognition of the power of his design, if anything.

As for your overarching point; while design and art may not be the same they share enough characteristics that I'm confident they can be used in a funny retort together without denaturing the overall jab.
smile.gif

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't you use Rubinacci because you like the Rubinacci house style?

How is this any different?

litho

Reaction score

do you not look at your own pictures? You also look incredibly stiff and hang-on-a-car-mirror-like

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Clothing design doesn't use proprietary features to attain an interesting whole so I have no idea what you're talking about. Going to a tailor and having him copy the TF style is an implicit recognition of the power of his design, if anything.

Whether you can achieve an interesting whole that amounts to more than the sum of a garment's features is, to me, an unresolvable query. But to answer your point, I never said one should ask a tailor to copy Tom Ford's styling, only that I have yet to see any evidence that there is such a thing beyond the few features that people have identified individually, and that a competent bespoke tailor should be able to execute those features (after all, Zegna's factory workers can).

Also, whatevever the merits of Tom Ford's work, its evaluation should be contained within the context of ready-to-wear. Even if his lapels are good for a model that must be scaled to fit as many people as possible, why suppose they are optimal for any one person? If someone says, "I want a Tom Ford suit," it's perfectly reasonable to question whether he has considered options that might be better for him individually .

As for your overarching point; while design and art may not be the same they share enough characteristics that I'm confident they can be used in a funny retort together without denaturing the overall jab.
smile.gif

This depends on how funny you think your retort is
smile.gif

emptym

Reaction score
What 'design' does Tom Ford put into his suits? Wide lapels, roped 'pagoda' shoulders, and severe waist supression aren't exactly voodoo. None of those things will confuse a competent bespoke tailor. ...
You forgot, iirc, the five buttons on the sleeve.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads