• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
That is my mother's favorite dish. They also serve it at the Paris restaurant. Did either of you have the artichoke and truffle soup?

That's exactly what I had Matt. It was heavenly.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Underneath that gritty sarcastic exterior lies an old Jewish grandmother. Who knew?

Yes, I do get in touch with my caring, loving, feminine side too.
wink.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Dark, the soup looked good. Lots of schmaltz?

Pre-emptive post: dinner tomorrow night at home. Have foie in the fridge, wife going to get three very nice cheeses, and making an artisnal loaf of bread tomorrow to go with dinner. Will pull a good wine from the cellar, and enjoy
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Dark, the soup looked good. Lots of schmaltz? Pre-emptive post: dinner tomorrow night at home. Have foie in the fridge, wife going to get three very nice cheeses, and making an artisnal loaf of bread tomorrow to go with dinner. Will pull a good wine from the cellar, and enjoy
smile.gif

Very little schmaltz, unfortunately. The broth was cook a la consomme style. She wants to keep an eye on her waist.
eh.gif
You ever considered starting your own foie gras farm? You sure eat enough of it to make this an economical venture.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Very little schmaltz, unfortunately. She wants to keep an eye on her waist.
eh.gif

You ever considered starting your own foie gras farm? You sure eat enough of it to make this an economical venture.

I just love the stuff. I think it just seems like I eat a lot of it, although I'm sure I eat more than the average bear. If I get more than three servings a month, on average, I'd be surprised. My F&B director gets me the whole livers, like I posted some months ago, whenever I want, so I know I certainly cook it at home more than 99% of people.

Now, this last weekend in Vegas, three times, and each portion was a simply HUGE portion
smile.gif

Rosemary's
Pinot Brasserie
Guy Savoy

+1 to all of them
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Huntman's dinner the other night, I had some hard salami, spicy turkey, crusty bread, meunster cheese, all washed down with some cheap Frontera Cabernet Sauvignon. It was the most simplest dinner I've had in a while, and pretty tasty too. Me likey!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf was a bit under the weather today, so chicken noodle soup (from scratch, baby!) was in order.

dsc0359vn1.jpg

Nice but try it with egg noodles instead of the pasta next time.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Nice but try it with egg noodles instead of the pasta next time.

They're egg noodles, dumbass.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of a very early dinner - going to make a beef/onions/mushroom thing, kind of like stroganoff, but without the sherry.

That + baguette = heaven. Of course rice or egg noodles work just as well.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
They're egg noodles, dumbass.

Oi gevalt!

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night, I don't know, I think my muse has returned. Firstly, I had a little cheese plate and some wine whilst I cooked -- this always tends to result in a meal of increased quality.

I picked up some saucisse du veau, a sort of lighter in flavor veal sausage. With decent olive oil. I sweat onion and garlic, added the sausage, and very, very lightly seared it. In went a decent amount of white wine, along with herbs and such. The sausage was cooked through, slowly in this, ala Bolognese. Then cream was added and that reduced. Then it was enriched with the best canned tomatoes I can find. It was like Bolognese but with veal sausage. It then served to enrobe manicotti which I stuffed with a spinach and mushroom cheese mixture. It was baked and served, enlivened with Dolcetto and garlic bread.

Tonight began with lamb chops marinated in olive oil, dried black mustard and tarragon, which were quickly seared in a hot cast iron skilled. the chops were reserved, and to the fond was added dried cherries macerated in kirsch, Dijon, and some more tarragon. A little more sweetness was desired, so I drizzled in some syrup from my Amarena Fabbri cocktail cherries (NOT that radioactive red maraschino waste). The chops were briefly returned to the sauce and then served with asparagus (in a white balsamic vinaigrette). The main course was a pan fried roast chicken in lemon sauce, garlic mashed red potatoes, and a mixed veg. Rose d'Tavel to accompany all the foregoing.

I love food.

~ Huntsman

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Last night was strange, I ended up eating three separate small meals throughout the course of the evening.

First was a potato, shallot, and tofu burrito seasoned with turmeric and cayenne that I threw together quickly for a light meal prior to a cigar.

Second, seared scallops over pumpkin puree. Enjoyed that with a glass of wine in the bar of a very nice, local restaurant.

Third, zesty curly fries (totally from GFS) with a fair serving of ranch dressing a few hours later at a dive with a pint of Guinness and three, maybe five, servings of Gentleman Jack neat.

I keep it classy.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had an odd combination of meat and fish. I fried two butter fish then coated them in Calypso sauce, coated two flounder fillets with cornmeal and fried them and seasoned a pork chop with spicy mustard and adobo and fried that too(I walking stereotype I am). I also made a Black bean dish and served it over very butter rice.
The black bean dish is rather good. I soak the beans overnight, simmer them in beef broth for one hour. While they simmered, I sauteed one onion, one red bell pepper and four cloves of garlic. After the onions become translucent I took the mixture off the heat and added one teaspoon of red wine, one teaspoon of red wine vinegar, one teaspoon of sugar, 3 bay leaves, and one teaspoon of oregano. I add the mixture to the black beans and simmer for one more hour until the beans were tender.
1114099bp0.jpg
[/IMG]

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
last two nights I had kababs overlooking the galata bridge, iskander and pistatio kapabs, with a starter of stuffed vegetables, kube, and turkish style steak tartar.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Sounds fantastic globetrotter! Do you get over there regularly?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads