• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southern accents & the Northeast

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I subconsciously dislike the working-class white New Jersey/New York accent. But I try to consciously correct for this prejudice.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Bostonians have an annoying accent, very true. But large swaths of the Northeast are accent-neutral. Vermont, New Hampshire, New York (aside from NYC).

We are superior!

WTF? Are you kidding? New Hampshire natives have a very distinct accent, I should know..
plain.gif

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Bostonians have an annoying accent, very true. But large swaths of the Northeast are accent-neutral. Vermont, New Hampshire, New York (aside from NYC).

We are superior!

Aren't you from poor people new york? (aka not Manhattan)?

People from upstate NY have some of the most god awful, disgusting accents. A southern drawl can at least be melodious and endearing in the same way we love a cute but dumb dog. Someone from Buffalo or Rochester just sounds like some dog who ***** all over himself and slobbers everywhere.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Aren't you from poor people new york? (aka not Manhattan)? People from upstate NY have some of the most god awful, disgusting accents. A southern drawl can at least be melodious and endearing in the same way we love a cute but dumb dog. Someone from Buffalo or Rochester just sounds like some dog who ***** all over himself and slobbers everywhere.
Hello to you too shitbag! There is no Albany accent.

B1FF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Pretty much all immigrants, French speaking Canadians, and people from the Atlantic provinces have to take accent-normalizing classes if they want to be employed in western Canada.

Someone had better let Fort McMurray know about this.

bearlydavid

Reaction score
I think when you are talking about southern accents, it is mainly the rural areas.

The Dallas Fort Worth area does not really have an accent.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I kinda like some southern accents and I have fond memories of a cheerleader from virginia.

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
^I sure hope the Dutch aren't planning to stimulate their economy by infiltrating on the "Southern Accent Humor" market.

I think you guys ought to stick with your windmills and your wooden shoes.

Lets see what Obama can do about it, huh?

Originally Posted by randallr
Yes, I fail to see the humor also.

Oops!
eh.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by X-It
Lets see what Obama can do about it, huh? :
I was kidding... but really, southern people don't talk like that, so it seems one of those jokes that are funny only to people who've never actually spent any time in the South.
wink.gif
Had you used some things we actually DO say, like instead of "I'm preparing to" we say, "I'm a-fixin' to start..." or instead of "soon" we say "d'reckly" and we say "dinner" for lunch and "supper" for dinner... then it might have been more apt.

bearlydavid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I was kidding... but really, southern people don't talk like that, so it seems one of those jokes that are funny only to people who've never actually spent any time in the South.
wink.gif
Had you used some things we actually DO say, like instead of "I'm preparing to" we say, "I'm a-fixin' to start..." or instead of "soon" we say "d'reckly" and we say "dinner" for lunch and "supper" for dinner... then it might have been more apt.

Yeah that is the kind of things I hear in Texas, as well as Howdy and yall.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bearlydavid
Yeah that is the kind of things I hear in Texas, as well as Howdy and yall.
True story about my parents; they moved to KY from MI before I was born and were invited soon thereafter to "dinner" at a neighbors house. They planned their day to be ready for "dinner," which would be about 6:00. About 12:30 or so in the afternoon they got a call wondering WHERE they were. "It's time for dinner!" the neighbors said. My parents quickly had to adjust their lingo...

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't feel like reading the whole thread, but since when is Midwest accent considered "normal/standard"? It certainly is not, in my opinion.

National newscasts are entirely done by anchors who speak in a Non-Boston New England / Manhattan accent (in my opinion, no accent). There is no NY accent - there is a Staten Island accent, and a Brooklyn accent (dying out fast), and maybe a Queens accent, I'm not sure. But Manhattanites generally speak just like anchors.

Midwesterners have more twang and definitely mannerisms/expressions that I do not hear on newscasts. Just my observations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads