• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC hotel

sajohnson05

Reaction score
I am going to NYC this weekend and need to know which hotel that my wife and I should stay at. We have narrowed it down to three, the mansfield, the bowery, and the W union square. Any and all input would be welcomed. Thanks

mockingboy

Reaction score
Bowery has small rooms, as does W but the W has the best, most central location.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are in 3 distinctly different locations. If you plan on doing the Holiday thing (Macy's, Rockettes, Broadway show etc.) then Mansfield is the best location by far. Bowery is new... and is in the current "hip" area with all new restaurants, clubs... surrounded by all OLD beat up buildings.
smile.gif
To me the Union Square W is in "no man's land". The main attractions there are the Whole Foods and the Trader Joes. Probably not what you are looking for.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would help to know what your plans are, but I definately vote for the W; Union Square has much more to offer than Whole Foods and Trader Joe's-the Greenmarket and The Strand are two things that immediately come to mind, and it is very conveinient to Midtown and Downtown. The Bowery is trendy, but the area has gone from wild (like back in the 90s when I lived around the corner) to tragically hip.

Myko

Reaction score
Those are all fine hotels with my preference being the W... however, you should also look at the Affinia 50 (walking distance from W). Great service, and generous room sizes.

TheGreek

Reaction score
Try the Roosevelt

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The W is very tacky and looks like it has been furnished by Ikea. Everything is given a stupid name and the hallways glow pink at night. It's like Vegas trying not to be so vulgar. It fails. You can do better. Go a little further uptown and stay in Soho Grand or something.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
um, the soho grand would be a little further downtown, just in case anybody is wondering. It's on West Broadway at Grand/Canal street. That's actually my favorite place to stay, if somebody else is paying for the trip. Met the lead singer from Coldplay in the bar there 7 years back. Very comfortable hotel, good "non-Times Square" location.

lithium180

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred

To me the Union Square W is in "no man's land". The main attractions there are the Whole Foods and the Trader Joes. Probably not what you are looking for.

Agree with this.

Originally Posted by SField
The W is very tacky and looks like it has been furnished by Ikea. Everything is given a stupid name and the hallways glow pink at night. It's like Vegas trying not to be so vulgar. It fails. You can do better. Go a little further uptown and stay in Soho Grand or something.

Agree with this.

My vote is for the Tribeca Grand or the Soho Grand. Great atmosphere.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads