• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Southern accents & the Northeast

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, so I've recently (past 3 months or so) met two people with very mild accents. One is from Cincinnati, one is from Kentucky. We got into discussing accents one day and the person from Cincy said "I'm going to take some of those accent-normalizing classes before I moved to NYC." When I asked why, she said that no one in NYC would give her a job because she sounded dumb.

I heard about the same thing from the Kentucky guy.

Is this common? Kind of weirded me out.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much all immigrants, French speaking Canadians, and people from the Atlantic provinces have to take accent-normalizing classes if they want to be employed in western Canada.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's no chance of "normalizing"
rolleyes.gif
this accent
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

It definently exists, and I find it very sad. I think it's great that Boston, Brooklyn, Chicago, Charleston SC, Wasilla, Texas, Appalachia, Alabama, etc used to all sound different. We pretend we're a country that can look past the color of people's skin, but we can't even look past the way each other pronouce vowels.

I blame radio, television, movies, and other mass communications. Supposedly a "flattening" in accents is happening in England, Ireland, Wales, and Scotland too.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some people in NYC, they'll hear the southern accents and think someone is "dumb" (to use your term). Part of it is because they talk slower, too. "West Wing" is a TV show that capitalized on the speed talking. When people talk fast, others think they are smarter. The speed on that show was maybe 20% faster (?). (That also meant they had to write more material for each show).

A mid-western accent is closer to "normal" - and is what national news anchors stive to acheive. So I'm not sure what an Ohio (cincy) accent would need. But Kentucky, definitely.

Milhouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Growing up in Chicago I had a bit of a Chicago style accent. After moving around a bit, I dropped the Chicago style and quickly adapted to the newscaster/normalized/Midwest/neutral/whatever else I hear it called accent.

Yes, I have heard people question someone's intelligence behind their back because that person spoke slowly and was from the South.

I've never heard of classes, but I'm not surprised. No one can really tell where I'm from and that can be advantageous (meaning no one in the US can tell where I'm from).

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milhouse
Yes, I have heard people question someone's intelligence behind their back because that person spoke slowly and was from the South.​
Don't think it's the slowness that's objectionable, it's more the cadence and the awkwardness of extra syllables and the like, at least in the land-locked southern states. Think Reba McEntire.
(But what do I know, I's from Maine.)​

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The area I am at in the NE is pretty accent neutral. While there are several mispronounced words by people of the area, I go by the standard pronunciation, so I think i'm good.
Accents are for freaks. 'cept for the English that is.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredfred
A mid-western accent is closer to "normal" - and is what national news anchors stive to acheive. So I'm not sure what an Ohio (cincy) accent would need. But Kentucky, definitely.

Downtown Cincinnati is right across the river from Kentucky. Southern Ohio has its own unique blend of Midwestern and Southern accents.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*****wrong Thread*******

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I met a guy once and after introductions, I said "oh, you must be from Cleveland." He asked how I knew and I told him it was because of his accent. "No," he said, "people fro Ohio don't have accents." I just laughed. I think accents are great. Think of all they different ways people say water. Whether it's WAH-tuh in Alabama, Wad-der in Florida, Wha-tuh in NYC, etc.... It's funny to me.
And all the regional words, like "catty-wampus", "ja'll", "halfback", "Geechee" - I think the diversity is great.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
I met a guy once and after introductions, I said "oh, you must be from Cleveland." He asked how I knew and I told him it was because of his accent. "No," he said, "people fro Ohio don't have accents." I just laughed. I think accents are great. Think of all they different ways people say water. Whether it's WAH-tuh in Alabama, Wad-der in Florida, Wha-tuh in NYC, etc.... It's funny to me. And all the regional words, like "catty-wampus", "ja'll", "halfback", "Geechee" - I think the diversity is great.
The NYC accent is sort of a myth. I think there are borough-specific accents though.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I cannot take anyone with a Southern accent seriously.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
The NYC accent is sort of a myth. I think there are borough-specific accents though.

Even the BK accent seems to be dying.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Even the BK accent seems to be dying.
Yeah, I think it is. NY sports bring out the best in NYC accents. Everytime I'm at a Giants game and the few times I've gone to a Mets game (sort of got sick of watching them lose
laugh.gif
) I'm near a guy with a thick-as-a-brick Brooklyn accent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads