• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stylish, Functional and Durable Winter Boots - Too much to ask?

korce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by timpoblete
Sorel Waterproof Boot?

(via Inquiringmind Magazine page 31-32)
untitled.jpg

Yep - I've had the same pair of these Sorels in Tan leather for the last 10 years or so. They must've fit huge on me when I was twelve! Still goin strong now. I need to treat the leather and re-waterproof them though. Any suggestions on what to use? I think they were done with seal/mink oil initially.

Really I'm looking for something to fill in the gaps when there isn't that much snow around, and I don't feel like wearing the sorels. In the past Clarks DB have been ok, but I'd like something a bit more rugged.

Those Filson boots look serrrious. I'll have to find somewhere to try them on though. I guess army surplus is an option too.

korce

Reaction score
Well, I've been doing a little research and found the two boots shown below. Curious to get some input from others. As you can tell, the grey has a leather sole (not really winter material) while the black has a more suitable rubber "anti-slip" sole. Unfortunately, there is nowhere local that stocks them, so I can't go see them in person. These pics are all I have for now, though I can request more.

They're Made in Canada, goodyear welted, and retail for $399. See if you can guess who makes them...

The big questions: Are they winter-worthy, durable, and worth the 4 bills?

Black, with rubber oil-resistant "anti-slip" sole:

img1537us1.jpg

Grey, with leather sole:

img1535zn4.jpg

img1534we3.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.

you need to really ask yourself, am I really trudging through a snowstorm? or walking on a snowshoveled pavement for 30 seconds from my car to Starbucks.

real snowstorm and below freezing for 10+ minutes at a time? i would take 200 grams of thinsulate and goretex lining. rubber soles.

Latte run? any boot you posted will do

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
goodyear welt will not keep water out. You need a storm welt or goretex lining or a galosh.
A storm welt on a majority of shoes will not help you either.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zamo
I quite like the ones listed here:

This is the description for a boot by the Shipton & Heneage guys Zamo linked...
lol8[1].gif

Make way for the boot of legend, the boot that brooks no obstacle, the boot that refuses to take "No Through Path" for an answer. All bow the knee to thee, mighty Bleasdale. Calf-high, water-resistant and commando-soled, you are the boot that would have been worn by the toughest heroes of British culture, from Beowulf to Bulldog Drummond to Alex the Droog if only they had been on our mailing list.

korce

Reaction score
^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

Surprised nobody has guessed who makes those boots I posted yet...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ah **** me. Was going to order some sorel caribou boots but I read that they're no longer made in Canada and suck now (now owned by Columbia?). Are there other similar looking pac boot alternatives besides some beans?

And what about Baffin? Would the basic entry level ones be overkill if you don't live in the Arctic?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Don't you hate that ****?

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by korce
^ those look pretty nice too, but I think I'm leaning towards the black ones I posted earlier.

@Tarmac - ultimately I'm looking for something to wear on winter days when the streets are clearer (doesn't mean it won't be cold outside though!). I've got Sorels and another pair of ugly winter/hiker boots that can be worn when extreme function is necessary.

But, I do alot of walking (don't drive at all really) so warmth and comfort are important.

Surprised nobody has guessed who makes those boots I posted yet...

I would guess Brown's? They look like something Brown's would make. Is there any other company in Canada that makes boots? Not sure.

They are ok, but are they worth $400?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ I meant to comment on those boots earlier. They look exactly like the Wings and Horns service boots (also made in Canada), just without the distressing. I'm curious on who makes them as well as I'd prefer those to the $800 versions.

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What then to wear if you do live in the city, and admitedly only need a shoe or boot that will keep your feet dry walking on poorly maintained city streets? I need something to keep my feet dry when I'm walking to and from the subway, so that I'm not sitting with cold feet during work all day. I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
I think I'm in the more water-resistant camp. Would the unlined Alden chukka's work?
The suede one's? Not so much. Check out their Kudu chukka books though - it's calf leather that's been heavily oiled and is very water resistant.

ppllzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want to know the boots you posted!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads