• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best brand of a nice black tie?

Lokesh

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I wanted to buy myself a nice plain black tie that will go with a white shirt, and a black suit. Which brand would be the best one to buy a tie from? I wanted to buy an armani tie... Anything better? Also any idea what the price would be and where online I could get it from? because the armani website does not show a plain black tie... only ones with designs!
Thanks!

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a funeral to attend? Or are you just a waiter?

Lokesh

Reaction score
lol none of the above? black tie not a good idea?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Do a search for "black suits". I suggest you first take care of any business you may have for the next several hours first, though.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only permissible black tie, is a bowtie.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
While I'm not a huge fan of black tie / black suit, the black tie still has its place in the wardrobe against other colours.

In any case, Agnes B has a surprisingly large selection of them in different fabrics and widths.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lokesh
Hey guys!
I wanted to buy myself a nice plain black tie that will go with a white shirt, and a black suit. Which brand would be the best one to buy a tie from? I wanted to buy an armani tie... Anything better? Also any idea what the price would be and where online I could get it from? because the armani website does not show a plain black tie... only ones with designs!
Thanks!

Ohh, that is an easy one: the best is the highest priced one.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Gucci one that is nice. I never wear it for stylistic reasons, but it's nice.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that a solid black tie with a navy suit and white shirt can be a good look. A black tie with a black suit and white shirt says "waiter" unless you are a humanities academic or some form of hipster.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a job as a bouncer? Are they still hiring?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you're just looking for the retro style /mod thing then just get a quick and dirty version - any store like H&M, Topshop, Club Monaco etc will have slim black ties for $20-60...

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't listen to the haters; there's nothing wrong with the hollywood tuxedo look (black suit, white shirt, slim black tie) except it doesn't follow the tradtional code.

for a solid black tie, you probably need to visit stores instead of picking brands; you would want a tie that's not too wide for the job, about 3".

oh, and black tie with gray suits looks very good too and less like a waiter

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get why some people shy away from black ties. I wore one a few days ago (dark blue pin stripe suit, a light pink shirt, and a black tie). It is a fantastic look. Maybe not everyone can pull it off. Ralph Lauren Purple Label makes good solid black ties.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mishon
I don't get why some people shy away from black ties. I wore one a few days ago (dark blue pin stripe suit, a light pink shirt, and a black tie). It is a fantastic look. Maybe not everyone can pull it off. Ralph Lauren Purple Label makes good solid black ties.

I don't mind black ties, just not with white shirts.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
I don't mind black ties, just not with white shirts.

black tie, white shirt, light gray shirt? what's a better way to have some color and high contrast!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads