• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for SIN residents

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you been to a bakery/restaurant called BreadTalk ?

If so...
  1. How was the food (scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best)?
  2. How was the atmosphere (inviting, rushed, cheap, well designed, etc)?
  3. Do you go there repeatedly?
  4. Would you recommend it to a friend?

Thanks - I appreciate your comments.

why4009

Reaction score
Do you work for Breadtalk? Or just thinking about creating a competitor? Or do you operate in a VC/PE/IB capacity and are looking raise/provide capital? Just curious.

Though I do not live there I do go there at least once a year (for the last 10 years - I went twice this year) and breadtalk is great.

However, since I am not a local my answers may not be sufficient due to the fact that Singaporeans take food quite seriously and there are places I many not know about.

Check out this site http://www.makansutra.com/
I bought the book and with a friend, we wandered for 2 days just eating. Mainly tasting about every hour!

But here are my answers.

If so...
How was the food (scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best)? 9

How was the atmosphere (inviting, rushed, cheap, well designed, etc)?
-Well laid out, the staff at the counter are always pretty friendly. It isn't rushed but can get packed depending when you go.

Do you go there repeatedly?
All the time, it is my walking food. Even if I am not hungry I'll grab something for later.

Would you recommend it to a friend?
Yes

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Why4009! Its anecodotal research primarily. I'm considering buying a fair amount of shares based upon their numbers and financial performance, however since I'm in the US I've never stepped foot inside one.

If possible, I try to experience the product(s) of any company in which I invest.

Thanks!

why4009

Reaction score
Ok, understand where you are coming from.

In Asia there are a lot of these places (not quite with the execution of Breadtalk). You find a breadtalk in almost every mall that has a foodcourt/section. Singaporeans are big shoppers, that and the heat, keep them inside the buildings most of the time. I would be concerned about a slowing economy impacting retail sales which would hit the foot traffic that Breadtalk may count on. I only know of one Breadtalk shop that either closed or moved because it wasn't in a mall. I have certain places I go to eat, so when I first found out it had closed, I thought I was in the wrong place. But eventually accepted that my cheese had moved (Who Moved My Cheese - decent read).

I have never been gutsy enough to try the pizza in a bun combos that they have! But breadtalk or the fast/convenient/bakery format seems to be quite a part of the culture. If you have gone into any Chinatown, there are always these bakeries selling all sorts of foods. Breadtalk is sort of like that just modernized with very nice presentation and mainly just bread products. On occassion I have seen (I think) cake. The product is fresh due to the sales volume. I think you are in SF so you might be able to experience a similar type of business there, would seem logical. I have come across similir places in LA but the ambience tends to be not so exciting/inviting.

You go in pick up a tray and a pair of tongs. You walk around picking up stuff you want and then take it to the counter. It must be the weather or the walking or the smoking, but I don't see a lot of fat people in Asia so the carbs must not be doing a lot of damage to them. I am particularly fond of the fire floss, but they use a some sort of cream or fat to make the floss stick the roll. tasty but I am sure not too good for me.

I hope that adds a bit more color to what breadtalk is about. Its not high end, just like a Starbucks but dealing out a consistent carb rich product.

Why4009

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bump for the evening crew opinions...

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
Have you been to a bakery/restaurant called BreadTalk ?

If so...

Thanks - I appreciate your comments.

1) the bread is good (high varieity, freshly baked, taste good)
8 out of 10
2) bread talk here in HK is mid-high level bakery I would say,
with younger and more energetic staffs and better upholstery.
3) no, there is none near my home, but when I pass throught it,
I would always grab a bite
4)Yes

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Breadtalk is getting quite widespread in Chinese cities too and comparatively very expensive. Still seems to do brisk business. I've noticed Paul has arrived in China as well. I don't like the bread they make in China, I can't comment on HK or Singapore's.

Also ... why are there so many users named why?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

why18

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Also ... why are there so many users named why?

My initial and birth date.
laugh.gif

JTA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford

No offense intended here.
1. So-so, 6 for me (for a generic product as bread, theirs are expensive and I found sometimes local bakery in HK, Chinatown or Taiwanese bakery are better but BreadTalk has advantage in branding).
2. This is where BreadTalk shines, clean and inviting 8.
3. My two cents only. BreadTalk does not live up the hype. It's popular because of Singaporean 'kiasu' habit and the rising of popular culture for Chinese in the past 20 years on eating bun/bread as snacks or breakfast.
4. For the food, not really.

However company performance can be different.
Marketing, branding, people perception, words of mouth and culture are playing an important role on building the reputation. BreadTalk is doing a good job in establishing a company image.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads