• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yessir!. At first I was going to just toss it in with the claw meat for the pasta dish, then thought better.

korce

Reaction score
^ Your 3 course lobster tasting sounds fantastic spatlese.

Here's what I cooked for my lady last night:

1. Cheese plate: old speckled hen cheddar (made with said beer and mustard seeds), mild pecorino, tallegio, salt & thyme roasted almonds.

2. Pork shoulder braised in homemade hard apple cider, sage, rosemary & bacon; Balsamic braised apples, red cabbage, red onions, and bacon; creamy celeriac mash with sage butter.

3. Baked apples stuffed with cranberry wensleydale, smashed almonds, brown sugar, cinnamon and allspice - served on roasted marshmallow and malt ball crunch ice cream.

We drank...Rioja - I forget the name/brand.

Very tasty and filling!! Made pulled pork sandwiches today with the leftovers, they were fantastic.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I eat well when on my own...
dnnrfb4.jpg

Parmigiano Reggiano on the right, Mimolette or aged Gouda on the left?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Lovely.
Thanks -- and skag, nice to see you around again.
Originally Posted by Dmax
Parmigiano Reggiano on the right, Mimolette or aged Gouda on the left?
Whoa, I'm seriously impressed. Yes, on the right was PR, and the left was Mimolette. That is some serious cheese ID work right there. Not photographed (for aesthetic purposes, I ran a little out of room) was some Caprino and Manchego, plus an artisanal finochiona salami, Serrano ham, oil cured olives, dried apricots and fig honey. All so very yummy. I think I would eat this way most nights if I wasn't cooking for others. ~ H

aerether

Reaction score
Spaghetti alla Carbonara. I'd bought pancetta on a whim earlier that day and I wanted to use it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I eat well when on my own...

Very nice Huntsman.

It is a shame you could not have joined us with Mrs. Huntsman for Saturday dinner. We ate at the Guy Savoy at Caesar's and it was probably the best meal I have ever had in my life. For my entree, I had an incredible selection of wild game birds, with seared foie gras, and cabbage done "petite marmite" style. Incredibly rich and succulent. I started with an artichoke soup that was heavy with truffles. If SF ever does a Vegas event, we need to consider a dinner at there.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Very nice Huntsman. It is a shame you could not have joined us with Mrs. Huntsman for Saturday dinner. We ate at the Guy Savoy at Caesar's and it was probably the best meal I have ever had in my life. For my entree, I had an incredible selection of wild game birds, with seared foie gras, and cabbage done "petite marmite" style. Incredibly rich and succulent. I started with an artichoke soup that was heavy with truffles. If SF ever does a Vegas event, we need to consider a dinner at there.
"Best meal I ever had in my life" coming from you is pretty significant. It sounds divine; I love game birds most of all. The Kosta Browne with the fowl? If SF did a Vegas event I'd think about it -- just last week I was checking fares to Vegas because it's pretty cheap and the food, of course, can be stellar. Glad you were there to enjoy it. ~ H p.s. Mrs. Huntsman only exists in my dreams.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"Best meal I ever had in my life" coming from you is pretty significant. It sounds divine; I love game birds most of all. The Kosta Browne with the fowl?
Yes, the Kosta with the game birds. Mallard duck, pheasant, and wild squab. Simply incredible. And the foie was the thickest slabs of it I've ever had, perfectly seared. The topper was I had an SB, peak lapel, 3 piece suit delivered just in time to rock the Savoy with it
smile.gif
Navy blue pinstripe and dark brown Park Aves. (Oh yeah, and Mrs. P looked good too!)

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa, I'm seriously impressed. Yes, on the right was PR, and the left was Mimolette. That is some serious cheese ID work right there. Not photographed (for aesthetic purposes, I ran a little out of room) was some Caprino and Manchego, plus an artisanal finochiona salami, Serrano ham, oil cured olives, dried apricots and fig honey. All so very yummy. I think I would eat this way most nights if I wasn't cooking for others. ~ H
biggrin.gif
Sounds like a nice spread you had there. I had a small Spain-themed party myself on Saturday. I served some Idiazabal (great Basque cheese with a nice, gently smoked flavor), Roncal (raw sheep's milk, aged 4 months), Jamon Serrano, Lomo (cured porl loin sliced paper thin), some boquerones (white fleshed anchovies marinated in vinegar and olive oil), Marcona almonds, Piquillo peppers. For main course I served some chorizos cooked in apple cider, seared tuna steaks and diver scallops, a roasted chicken, a potato gratin, a root vegetables mash, and some bucattini with caramelized onions,anchovies, and toasted bread crumbs. This was washed down by some Ribera del Duero, Rioja, as well as Rose d'Anjou and a nice Riesling Kabinet for people who are not red wine drinkers.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
A steak sandwich today. Nicely cooked to a medium rare, roasted red pepper strips, and some quality fresh french bread baked today. Damn good meal. Top it off w/ a decent beer.

steaksandwich.jpg

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the Kosta with the game birds. Mallard duck, pheasant, and wild squab. Simply incredible. And the foie was the thickest slabs of it I've ever had, perfectly seared. The topper was I had an SB, peak lapel, 3 piece suit delivered just in time to rock the Savoy with it
smile.gif
Navy blue pinstripe and dark brown Park Aves. (Oh yeah, and Mrs. P looked good too!)

Squab..... I find it a little too coincidental that the only time I ever purchased a suit to wear for a meal, it was also a SBPL 3-piece. Though, mine was a white chalkstripe on black. Who was the maker of your suit? SBPLs are not the most common, though they are enjoying a decided resurgence. Mine was RLPL.
Originally Posted by Dmax
biggrin.gif
Sounds like a nice spread you had there. I had a small Spain-themed party myself on Saturday. I served some Idiazabal (great Basque cheese with a nice, gently smoked flavor), Roncal (raw sheep's milk, aged 4 months), Jamon Serrano, Lomo (cured porl loin sliced paper thin), some boquerones (white fleshed anchovies marinated in vinegar and olive oil), Marcona almonds, Piquillo peppers. For main course I served some chorizos cooked in apple cider, seared tuna steaks and diver scallops, a roasted chicken, a potato gratin, a root vegetables mash, and some bucattini with caramelized onions,anchovies, and toasted bread crumbs. This was washed down by some Ribera del Duero, Rioja, as well as Rose d'Anjou and a nice Riesling Kabinet for people who are not red wine drinkers.

As is that! Wonderful, and quite a large meal. I'm interested n that Idiazabal....will look for some. Nice choice of the d'Anjou (highly underrated, I think), and as ever a Riesling for the acid-loving crowd.
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
A steak sandwich today. Nicely cooked to a medium rare, roasted red pepper strips, and some quality fresh french bread baked today. Damn good meal. Top it off w/ a decent beer.
Looks good! Think it deserved a little wine, though! ~ H

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice Huntsman. It is a shame you could not have joined us with Mrs. Huntsman for Saturday dinner. We ate at the Guy Savoy at Caesar's and it was probably the best meal I have ever had in my life. For my entree, I had an incredible selection of wild game birds, with seared foie gras, and cabbage done "petite marmite" style. Incredibly rich and succulent. I started with an artichoke soup that was heavy with truffles. If SF ever does a Vegas event, we need to consider a dinner at there.
That is my mother's favorite dish. They also serve it at the Paris restaurant. Did either of you have the artichoke and truffle soup?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My gf was a bit under the weather today, so chicken noodle soup (from scratch, baby!) was in order.
dsc0359vn1.jpg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
My gf was a bit under the weather today, so chicken noodle soup (from scratch, baby!) was in order.
Underneath that gritty sarcastic exterior lies an old Jewish grandmother. Who knew?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads