• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Dressing Like A marsupial Isn't Impressing Anyone"

dsmolken

Reaction score
Here's a rant I really enjoyed reading, featuring phrases such as "I despise the modern fashion for men to dress as if they are eleven years old" and "I'm mystified at the ass so tender it must be swathed in soft, specially absorbent fabric at all times": http://www.udolpho.com/weblog/?id=01...ressing-anyone

Any other similar rants that you've gotten a good laugh out of? Aside from the black suit thread, of course.

youngScholar

Reaction score
One of the biggest offenders (IMHO) are athletic/tennis shoes, the majority of which seem to have been designed by colorblind schizophrenics. Going to the gym or on a run? Fine. Otherwise wear something nicer.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngScholar
One of the biggest offenders (IMHO) are athletic/tennis shoes, the majority of which seem to have been designed by colorblind schizophrenics. Going to the gym or on a run? Fine. Otherwise wear something nicer.

Sad thing is they look down on those who make the effort to dress decently.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One really loathes seeing tastelessness, self-indulgence, and lack of intelligence jump up onto the table and loudly defend itself. If you need to dress like a young boy well into your 30s and 40s because you are psychologically crippled or otherwise unable to shrug off adolescent immaturity, that's fine, but at least have the decency to acknowledge this as a weakness of character.

Blah blah blah... look. I agree- I don't like slovenly fashions that are now the standard. But resorting to this kind of claptrap, name calling etc may be fun for the author to write, but it doesn't help his case.

It just makes people think that people who dress well are self-righteous prigs... well... maybe we are...
butbut.gif
wink.gif

And who still uses usenet? Or is that 10 years old?

blofeld

Reaction score
the point that people used to dress as a sign of status, and no longer do, is wrong. people do now more than ever I think, but just in a different way. how else can you explain these:
W3TR6NRB1lv%20bag.jpg
Gucci%20shoes%20042.jpg
3.jpg
chav%202.jpg

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
But resorting to this kind of claptrap, name calling etc may be fun for the author to write, but it doesn't help his case.
But claptrap, self-righteous priggery and obnoxiousness are sometimes just plain fun.

Azure

Reaction score
That beard lefttist is hateous.

I hate all those dirty people who wants to life from the effort of others like us.

my two cents

Those people can´t be taken seriously with those stone age looks

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's Richard Stallman, the founder of the Free Software Foundation in the picture on the OP's link if I am not mistaken. Calling him a slob is not really fair, sorta like criticizing Paul Erdos for his dress sense. Like Erdos, Stallman was a nomad, living in his lab at MIT for years and his look is not very surprising. He is one guy who is not faking his look.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld
chav%202.jpg

I'm currently in Africa watching the international version of CNN. There is a female news anchor who is wearing a dress in the Burberry plaid. IMO, she looks as bad in it, as does the guy in the photo.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blofeld

chav%202.jpg

These shirts look much better with a matching burberry plaid tie. Surprised no one has put them together to definitively win one of the pattern matching contests. The judges (edmorel, Manton etc ) would have creamed in their burberry plaid pants.

Me thinks, I saw a tie like that a few days ago on the forum.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But doesn't making the effort to dress well distinguish us from the masses who don't? Isn't that part of the fun? In addition of course to having at least some appreciation for class, tradition, and self-respect.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads