• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Bespoke Suit Designed by Michael Andrews Bespoke

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
The vest/pants at least looks like they fit you well. I never thought I'd see a non-korean buy a suit with pick stitching... guess anything can happen.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the shoulder pic it looks like it is bunching up around your neck.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Michael Andrew is not really offering a bespoke product, more of a MTM product.
Also, it seems as though your collar is not hand attached.
A bit gauche for my taste.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks like decent work.
My main obeservation is that there are too many details that will make this suit look very dated in a year. if not already.

if you had just used the paisley lining, then it would have been fine.
the blue buttonholes and blue pick stitiching look very last year to me.

Carl

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A few details lead me to believe this was made in Asia / Hong Kong. The only reason I am commenting is I think the term "Bespoke" is over used, misused and the meaning is watered down and used in a generalized way these days.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you for inspiring another blog post.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jefferyd
Thank you for inspiring another blog post.

That was fast! Would you explain a "sandwich construction".

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
That was fast! Would you explain a "sandwich construction".

In bespoke tailoring there are as many ways of making a collar as there are tailors, but at certain levels of RTW/MTM there are two main methods of attaching a collar. One is the classic method and the other what I have always referred to as the sandwich collar. Of course, this may differ from others' usage, but here is mine;

The classic and sandwich both begin at the gorge- the seam where the collar is sewn to the facing. The top collar is sewn to the facing along the gorge, stopping a bit short of the curve; the gorge is opened and tacked, then the lining is basted into the neck line.

In the classic method, the rest of the top collar is turned over and the undercollar, which is still free, is basted along the neck line. The collar is then felled by hand or by machine. The result is quite solid.

In the sandwich method the 2/3 of the neck seam of the top collar which correspond to the back of the jacket has been turned and basted in place; when sewing the gorge one sews up to the turn back and stops. The undercollar is basted in place, leaving the top collar free. The jacket is then turned over and the finished edge of the top collar (the one that was turned and basted) is basted in place. This edge is then felled using an AMF or Complett (pick stitch) machine, going through all layers. Since you can't tack using the AMF this is quite a bit less sturdy.

The gorge/neck seam on a classic jacket is rounded where the gorge line meets the neck line; the sandwiched top collar is squared.

In both methods, all layers are held together more or less firmly and will not move. In the zig-zag application, they can not be held together unless tacked with an AMF machine similarly to the sandwich method; most makers who use this method prefer to do it with glue instead.

Classic

3024745711_4f82b49a6a.jpg

Sandwich

3024745451_c5bf958876.jpg

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

J

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
I never thought I'd see a non-korean buy a suit with pick stitching... guess anything can happen.

Um ... what the? Pick stitching is pretty common these days ... even on OTR.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads