• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations - do you bring a coathanger & suit bag to the tailor?

Aluan

Reaction score
I usually bring a coathanger, but not a bag. They notice the coathanger and return the clothes with the hanger that I brought.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
For those people who have used a tailor for alterations, did you initially bring the garments to be altered in a suit bag and on a coathanger and if so, did you leave them with the tailor? If I levea my suit bag and coathanger with the tailor, will I ever see it again? Do tailors normally give you a metal hanger and clear plastic cover like drycleaners when you go to collect your clothes?
confused.gif

The tailor I've used recently is in a men's clothing store. I took my items there on my hangars and in garment bags. I left them on my hangars but took the bags with me when I left. When I picked them up, all were on my hangars save one jacket that I had brought in on a plastic hangar. They had replaced that with a wood hangar that had their store's logo on it and placed my clothes in their branded garment bags.

I'd have a hard time believing that a tailor would make off with your hangars. that doesn't seem like good business to me. If it's a strip mall tailor maybe you'll get the dry cleaner plastic, but in my mind a professional place is going to see a zip-up garment bag w/ their logo as a nice touch and cheap advertising.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnny_flapjack
The tailor I've used recently is in a men's clothing store. I took my items there on my hangars and in garment bags. I left them on my hangars but took the bags with me when I left. When I picked them up, all were on my hangars save one jacket that I had brought in on a plastic hangar. They had replaced that with a wood hangar that had their store's logo on it and placed my clothes in their branded garment bags.

I'd have a hard time believing that a tailor would make off with your hangars. that doesn't seem like good business to me. If it's a strip mall tailor maybe you'll get the dry cleaner plastic, but in my mind a professional place is going to see a zip-up garment bag w/ their logo as a nice touch and cheap advertising.

Obviouslly you have no idea that the second hang hanger and gament bag market is booming.

Mr. Potato

Reaction score
With my usual tailor, he gives me back my hangers to be replaced with his own metal wire hangers. With suit bags, I take them back with me.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato
With my usual tailor, he gives me back my hangers to be replaced with his own metal wire hangers. With suit bags, I take them back with me.
Same here. He hands my mine back to me and uses his own.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Potato

+1

penguin vic

Reaction score
I leave hangers and bags with my tailor and also if I use my cheapo alterations place. Never been an issue.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine usually takes my suit and pants (and maybe vest) and puts it on another hanger and hangs it in his work area, so I have to take my bag and hanger back.

So I always end up with a new hanger and bag, even if it is a tiny alteration.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Does your tailor give you a proper cloth suit bag or a polyester suit bag?

I did that once, but then he ended up giving me my Brioni suit back with an Abboud hanger instead. He said he couldn't find the Brioni hanger.

ChriO

Reaction score
Depends on the garment and therefore the tailor. If I need an expensive high quality garment altered I take it to a local bespoke tailor's who started his career in WWII as a uniform tailor. Lots of work experience and high quality work that comes at a price. I just leave hanger and garment bag with the suit.

If it is just a matter of getting chinos or cords shortened I take them to a cheap alterations tailor and don't bother with hangers and don't leave the bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads