• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

should i get a dog?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my son has been asking for a dog for three years. wife is not thrilled with the idea. we have a failry small house but it's big enough, and a sizeable yard. my 2 other sons are all for it. what should i do? can any of you with kids and dogs share your experience?

Reaction score
let your son(s) have a dog.

i had a couple but we gave both away.
one bit me all the time. the other one was constantly depressed.

are cats out of the question?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I'd say hell to tha muthafuckin yes get a dog. But if your wife is going to be unhappy with it... I dunno son.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tell your sons that if you are elected as POTUS, you will get them a dog.

It worked for a cute pair of sisters and one lucky dad.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of dog? size? Bigger the dog, more mess to clean up. Also, what's the excercise need of the dog?

How committed are you/your sons to taking care of dog. It's gotta be walked, fed, bathed, house trained, taken to the vet....etc.

It's a lot of work. I had a rottweiler. It was a lot of work.

Did I mention it was a lot of work?

People fantasize about all the good aspects of having a pet, but when it's 2 in the morning and the dog needs to go out and pee/****, and there's 6" snow out, and you can't get the person who orginally wanted the dog in the first place to take the dog out, then you are stuck.

This is a living being. This is not a stuffed animal or some inanimate object. Think of it as another baby/child. Are you ready for another baby/child?

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get one. Given the vast number of different breeds, there's sure to be one possessing behaviourial / physical characteristics ideal for your family + home.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't get one.

Your kids will love it for a short amount of time. But after the "new toy" feeling has worn off you will be stuck taking the dog for walks, picking up it's poop, going to the vet, buying million pound bags of dog food and yelling at the dog everytime it gets on your nerves (like when you have guests over and it jumps all over wife's friend's brand new dress).

The idea of getting a dog always surpasses actually having one. Unless you are one of those dog lovers, but if you were, you'd already have a dog.

Dogs are living creatures. They require attention and upkeep (which can be costly). So don't get one if you aren't ready to take care of it all by yourself.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do it do it do it! although i'm curious why the wife has reservations.

-Jeff

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Do it! however...

Get a male only if you hate your carpet.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good reasons to get a dog:

1) The kid has been asking for one for years.
2) The wife doesn't like it

Reality:

You're walking it at midnight in the middle of a New York snow storm.

FlyingLotus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love dogs, they make great companions and are basically another addition to the family.
Tons of responsibility though, gotta take it out for walks, bathroom breaks, and give it lots of love & attention!

e23

Reaction score
Dogs are the best, they want nothing but love.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celery
Don't get one.

Your kids will love it for a short amount of time. But after the "new toy" feeling has worn off you will be stuck taking the dog for walks, picking up it's poop, going to the vet, buying million pound bags of dog food and yelling at the dog everytime it gets on your nerves (like when you have guests over and it jumps all over wife's friend's brand new dress).

The idea of getting a dog always surpasses actually having one. Unless you are one of those dog lovers, but if you were, you'd already have a dog.

Dogs are living creatures. They require attention and upkeep (which can be costly). So don't get one if you aren't ready to take care of it all by yourself.

Couldn't have said it better.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. They are dirty and they smell. They will catch threads on your clothes when pawing at you and leave fur all over the house. Did I mention that they smell?
tongue.gif
Oh, and they also ruin furniture. My father held out for years against getting a dog. When we moved to quebec he caved for some reason. The house was never clean again.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GQGeek is a douche.

Yes, get a dog if you're ready to have a dog. Don't get one for the kids as it will turn out to be yours and your wife's. Of course, she may dislike the idea now but warm up to it once it's in the house which is fairly common.

If you're concerned with shedding and such, you could get one of those new mutt breeds i.e. Labradoodles; I've seen some good looking large ones though they've all been extremely... active.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads