• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Cribs: The places behind the clothes

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by freshcutgrass
I interpret "retro" & "themed" to mean something different...that's all.
Got it. I'm not sure how you interpreted it but I didn't mean anything negative by that. I meant that we are in 2008 so I call a 60's or 70's interior "retro". And the fact that it's dead-on authentic and so coherent throughout the apartment makes it somewhat of a "theme" IMO. That's all I meant, and would apply the same adjectives to an interior that would all Art Deco for example.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the fact that the house (inside and out) & grounds appear to be unmolested...you are so lucky to have found something in such vintage condition.

The exterior of the house was indeed largely untouched when we found it. The interior, on the other hand, though it may appear "vintage" in the photos, has actually been heavily reworked by my wife and I in the past few years. It's not so much that the interior had been molested before we got hold of the place, but just that it was never done properly the first time around (the original owners pretty much gave the architect carte blanche, but then the wife turned around and did a very traditional interior design herself). There was lots of horrible wallpaper and linoleum, mismatched carpeting, brass fixtures (from rustic to 80s faux-bling), 70s avocado-colored appliances, gaudy drapes, "ye-olde" chandeliers, etc. We ended up redoing pretty much every surface in the house -- walls, ceilings (believe it or not, the non-wooden ceilings were all popcorn-finished), countertops, flooring, and on and on.

Still a work in progress? What are your future plans/purchases?
I guess it's always a work in progress, but we've reached something of a stopping point for now, especially after enduring the interior being "under construction" for the better part of a year (with us living in the house all the while). Our next steps would be making my office look better, buying a rug for the dining room, getting a better-looking TV for the living room, and perhaps replacing the living room flooring (we went with carpet but are kind of regretting it).

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
I meant that we are in 2008 so I call a 60's or 70's interior "retro". And the fact that it's dead-on authentic and so coherent throughout the apartment makes it somewhat of a "theme"
That's where I make the distinction. I don't consider it a "60's or 70's interior"....interiors of that kind of the day just happened to be limited to what was available in the day. Your stereotypical 60's or 70's look of the day would not be relevant today, and if you did it, it would be "retro". Whereas this style is as relevant today as it was then, regardless of using vintage items or recent pieces.

Most decor of every era is awful. We will be laughing at our Pottery Barn interiors 40 years down the road, the same as we laugh at the crap of the 60's or 70's. Meanwhile, there are interiors of say David Hicks that you would swear are 2008.

I think it's more a philosophy of style that is timeless than a straight set of aesthetic or consumerism values.

The hard structure itself, is very much of the day. But "bones" and decor do not need to jive at all...it just happens to in this case.

If you were to do this look now, it would not be considered "retro"...

If you were to do this look, it would definitely be considered retro...

freshcutgrass

Reaction score
With collars like this...who needs ties?

Don't you wish this was your college dorm room?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
With collars like this...who needs ties?

Don't you wish this was your college dorm room?

I'm convinced you and LabelKing are the same person.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
Here's a few old ones, - the furniture etc. varies a bit, as the pics were originally taken for room-to-let ads at various times.

Balderg.jpg

What kind of lights are these? I really like them.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I will never understand people who like to display their audio gear. You might as well walk around with ********** hanging out, IMO.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I will never understand people who like to display their audio gear. You might as well walk around with ********** hanging out, IMO.

And without styrofoam cups, it's equivalent to a small penis at that.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's kind of like displaying your guns, high-end liquors and shoes.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like, look at his username.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads